Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Holiday lunches

Does anyone host luncheons in their office for Thanksgiving or the Christmas holidays where everyone contributes for all to enjoy. I would like to do this for those that don't have anywhere or anyone to celebrate with and believe it would boost morale. Please let me know what your office is doing. Thanks.

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
It's a nice thought for people who don't have a place to go for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but personally, I don't want to prepare food twice--once for my office potluck and again for my family. Also, it's the actual day itself that's a lonely one, so having an office lunch a few days before doesn't really solve the problem. What about finding out who will be alone on those holidays--even spouses of those who work in certain jobs (like hospital employees) may be alone on those days. Then, asking employees to adopt a "loner" for the day. That would mean that the "loner" would be going to a co-worker's home and enjoying the celebration with their friends and family. Ask the visitor to bring something and make them feel a part. If they are a good cook, their contribution will add something new to your celebration. If they don't cook--rolls or a beverage is a good choice. I think it's the actual day itself where one can feel alone, not just missing the holiday food. Anonymous on 10/9/2017 7:35:41 AM
Although I'm retired now, we held Pot Lucks in the Office before many holidays, not just Thanksgiving or the December Holidays. For the Thanksgiving and December Religious Holidays our Senior Managers would provide or pay for meat/fish dishes. The rest of the staff contributed pot luck items, or made a monetary donation. Even if there were multiple green bean (for example) dishes, they were all just a little different. We occasionally did a Secret "Elf" gift exchange among the Admin Staff in December and tried to be inclusive if all religious holidays. Several of us who were single and not traveling to be home with family would get together a holiday Pot Luck buffet. We invited everyone Honora Daly on 10/4/2017 3:48:08 PM
We have a social committee made up of individuals from various departments who plan most of our staff-wide activities. Usually for Thanksgiving, we have a catered luncheon where everyone wishing to participate pays around $8-$10 per person. We take reservations in advance so that we can confirm the number with our caterer. During Christmas, we have a potluck where those wishing to participate can either bring a dish to share or donate $5 for meat, drinks, or paper products. Teresa Stivers on 10/4/2017 2:56:24 PM
We did a highly successful "Pot Luck' where employees (noted on invite that participation not required) brought appetizers, salads, entrees, desserts and beverages to share in the office break room. Everyone participated and thoroughly enjoyed all day as breakfast foods and beverages were also contributed! Patricia Black on 10/4/2017 2:22:38 PM
We have a pot luck the week before Thanksgiving, Everyone signs up to bring an appetizer, side dish or dessert and the company provides the meat. But we do nothing on Thanksgiving Day as that is an holiday. Anonymous on 10/4/2017 2:20:34 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread