Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Pros and Cons of ppl having access to CEO calendar

Need help! People are asking for access to my bosses calendar. My boss doesn't seem to have a problem with it but I do. I do not want additional people having access/visibility to their calendar because the people that DO have access already make changes, add/move, etc. The people that are requesting access (CEO direct report and EA) do not need access to do their job. The EA is new and is use to having access to CEO calendars. I don't want additional people making calendar decisions for me or increasing the risk of seeing confidential information. I need/want to convince my boss that he should not grant access. If they get access, then everyone else will want access. Please, if you have any facts I can use to validate NOT giving access, please let me know. I have 1)want not need 2) it's more people telling me what to do with the CEO's calendar and don't want to take on having to explain when I can't do what they say. Doesn't allow me to manage his calendar effectively. Any concrete evidence you have to support NOT to give access would be GREATLY appreciated. Having the talk on Monday 5/16. Thank you!

Submitted by: Donna McCarthy

ReplyPosted By
I don?t know what type of electronic calendar you are using, but if you are using an Outlook Calendar, the solution is easy. No one, but your CEO?s dedicated secretary should have edit authority on his calendar. Plain and simple. You cannot control or organize his calendar and tasks if others are changing it. All should be able to view his calendar using the appointment assistant function. This can be configured to show only free, busy, or out of office times. The details of what he is doing during those time should not be shared. There is a setting for that. If you have an I.T. department, get them to help you if you don?t know how to do this. I believe the settings will have to be accessed from your boss?s computer in order to set them. Hope this helps. Debbie on 5/17/2016 2:09:10 PM
You could give them read only access. Everyone here has read only access to all calendars. My boss and me are the only two that have access to add/delete/change anything on his calendar. If there is a meeting that I feel is confidential I mark it private and we are the only two that can see the meeting - others cannot open it to see what it is about or who it is with. Debbie Potter on 5/16/2016 9:44:53 AM
If you use Outlook or a similar calendar, other people should already be able to see when your boss is free or busy, and that should be sufficient for their needs. They don't need to see when he is meeting with John Doe regarding his next pay raise or when he is going to the doctor. That is the case I would present if I were you. Celeste on 5/16/2016 9:44:12 AM
Let them have read-only. That is what I had to do because those who had access was changing and adding meetings without my knowledge. RG on 5/16/2016 9:28:42 AM
Yes, I agree that Read-Only should work best. Him & his EA should be the ones to make/edit his calendar. The danger is double-booking. The others could always send him a "meeting request" to accept or deny, or suggest another time. Daisy on 5/16/2016 9:14:04 AM
You can give them viewing rights to the calendar and not allow them to make changes. That would even make your life easier because they could view your boss's calendar without having to bother you. I would sit down with your boss, express your concerns and offer this as a suggestion. Hope that helps. KathyAnn Krajcik on 5/16/2016 9:10:13 AM
I would give them read only access ... it would make your life easier if everyone can check his availability themselves Betsy Gordon on 5/16/2016 9:07:22 AM
There is a way to be able to have access without being able to make changes. That's what my boss has. He's the only one who can make changes or entries. The problem with calendar sharing is as you say, sensitivity issues. Also, your boss needs to be careful as to what entries he puts on his calendar. For example, no one needs to know when he's having a medical procure and what type it is. Masterg on 5/16/2016 9:04:52 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread