Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Vacation Schedules

Need to know what vacation allowance other companies are using now. With the job market and the cutbacks, we offer 2 weeks of vacation per year accrued a certain amount per month. After 15 years with the company we get an extra week. Also what is the best strategy to use to get the time off I want and not when the company wants me to take off. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
I work for a governmental agency. Vacation (annual leave) time is accumulated based on years of service. One to sixty months, 7.5 hours per month (or a minimum of 100 hours worked). Sixty-one to One Hundred Twenty months, 9.38 hours per month. This continues on until the maximum earned for annual leave per month is 15 hours. Accrued vacation hours in excess of 225 per calendar year are converted to sick leave (earned at 7.5 hours per month for entirety of service). Leave time is one of the ways governmental agencies make up for lower than market salaries for staff. It is always best to ask for vacation leave as far in advance as possible to secure approval at that time. I generally ask for leave at least six weeks out and thoroughly check the calendar for any conflicts which might arise for requesting those particular days. Teresa Stivers on 5/14/2015 6:37:11 AM
I work for a not for profit and this is how we treat vacation days. *Vacation Eligibility & Accrual: Full-time employees (30 hours per week or more) are eligible for paid vacation time which is accrued in a calendar-year basis. Vacation time earned in a given year may be used (?carried over?) to the following year provided it is used by January 31 of the subsequent year. Status: Employees enter a state of vacation eligibility by being assigned an Initial Phase. This Initial Phase represents the employee?s vacation status and is established by the President & CEO upon the employee?s acceptance of the offer of employment. The President & CEO may utilize several factors, including a ?seniority credit? (recognition of qualified prior industry experience) in determining each employee?s Initial Phase. Progression: Employees move from his or her Initial Phase to subsequent phases by following the established Progression as detailed herein. Phases of Vacation Status & Established Progression: Phase 1: Vacation is accrued at a rate of .42 days per month (five days per year). Accrued vacation time may not be used during the first six months of employment. Progression: An employee progresses from Phase 1 to Phase 2 after the completion of 24 months of employment. Phase 2: Vacation is accrued at a rate of .83 days per month (10 days per year). Progression: An employee progresses from Phase 2 to Phase 3 after the completion of 60 months of employment. Phase 3: Vacation is accrued at a rate of 1.25 days per month (15 days per year). Progression: An employee progresses from Phase 3 to Phase 4 after the completion of 120 months of employment. Phase 4: Vacation is accrued at a rate of 1.67 days per month (20 days per year). Vacation may be used before it is fully accrued. However, upon termination of employment the dollar value of used and un-accrued vacation will be deducted from the final paycheck. Submit vacation requests in writing at least two weeks in advance to the Executive Assistant. When possible, vacation periods will be approved in accordance with employee requests, taking operating requirements into account. Length of employment may determine priority in scheduling vacation times. Vacation pay will not be granted in lieu of taking the actual time off. Management will determine the vacation dates for those employees who fail to make proper advance arrangements to take their remaining vacation time. Upon termination, eligible employees will be paid for any earned but unused vacation time. Anonymous on 5/13/2015 8:11:18 AM
I work for a community college in Alabama and we get: 0-4 years of completed employment 1 day (8 hours) per month 5-9 years of completed employment, 1.25 days (10 hours) per month 10-14 years of completed employment, 1.5 days (12 hours) per month 15-19 years of completed employment, 1.75 days (14 hours) per month 20 years or more of completed employment, 2 days (16 hours) per month. There are certain dates we cannot request time off (graduation day and registration days) unless it is an emergency. Best strategy to request time off: ask for the time off in advance -- as many months in advance as you can. Ivonne Rosado on 5/13/2015 7:27:03 AM
Our company uses "Paid Time Off" hours, which is to include our sick days, bereavement leave outside policy, vacation, etc. We're fairly flexible with scheduling just try to make sure all areas are covered and it preferable to only take one week at a time but if requested, more time can be approved. Hope this helps! Lynn Schad on 5/13/2015 7:21:53 AM
I work for a non-profit social service agency. I have to admit that the greatest benefit here is the time off. We accrue one day per pay period which equals 2 days per month. We also get one floating holiday to use whenever we wish. In addition, we get 12 paid holidays. Our PTO and sick time are the same, though. But, I actually have 25 days off a year. We have no issues here as to when someone can take time off. Is there another admin who covers for you when you are on PTO? Can't you just ask your boss if you can cover each other's work when on vacation? Alice on 5/13/2015 6:37:30 AM
Director of Operations at an 8 physician orthopaedic practice, including ambulatory surgery center, and physical therapy. We also have 12 satellite clinics. 0-4 years 2 weeks, 5-10 years 3 weeks, 11+ 4 weeks - all earned equally per pay period. Employees request time off through our time clock system on a first come first serve basis. The supervisor approves or denies the time off request. Kristine Papa on 5/12/2015 8:39:30 PM
Hourly exec asst at large corporation - we have a very generous PTO plan. We accrue 20 days/year (25 days/year after 10 years with the company). Our PTO balance maxes out at 200 hours and we then do not accrue anything further until we get our balance back below 200. Agree that you need to request the time off as early as you can. You also need to pick & choose your days/times (when possible) to create as little negative impact as possible. Good luck! Anonymous on 5/12/2015 4:02:36 PM
I am a salaried worker at a For-profit hospital. Right now we get: 0-4 Years - 15 days vacation 5-9 Years - 20.25 days vacation 10+ Years - 24 days vacation I have no problems taking my vacation when I want it. To help ensure you get what you want, I would recommend you put in your request as soon as possible. For example, I know in January of each year that I will need some time off to attend my theocratic convention. Hence, as soon as I get my official dates, I put in for the time. This last December, the company did ask employees to take vacation time during the Christmas to New Year break. Some took more time off than others. It was at your manager's discretion. Carolyn Clemons on 5/12/2015 3:13:04 PM
I work for a medical association and we are given 2 weeks vacation accrued each month, after two years you get a third week and after 3 plus year you get four weeks of vacation. We also provide 2 personal days each year to be taken at any time. We accrue 10 days each year of sick leave and can bank up to 450 hours of sick time which equates to 60 days of sick leave. We can also roll over into the next year up to half of our yearly vacation. Shannon on 5/12/2015 3:06:45 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread