Return to ForumsReply to Thread
New Employee-

Could you please give me some advice on what to say to an employee who you have ask to do some simple work such as typing lables for mailbox and putting them on the boxes. Now this is the second time this sort of issue has come up. Thank you

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
I would put it in writing. When she started, I emailed my secretary daily tasks that I needed to have completed and the deadline. In the email, I ask if she understands. At this point, it is not necessary to email daily tasks. I now email tasks/projects that come up. The other thing that I did for students is a daily to do list w/a completion check off box. If you have to ask the employee to do the simple work then I would do a daily task list and check it. If uncompleted items are still not done, then document, and write the employee up. Lisa Williamson on 11/19/2014 1:47:07 PM
I would be sure I had a list of responsibilities for the employee or a SOP manual. I would instruct the employee what the require was and tell them to be sure to write down the instructions. Also, give them a timeframe. Just telling someone what to do without a timeframe is not fair for the employee and if you have a timeframe in your mind and don't share it, how will the employee know? Valerie Butler on 11/19/2014 1:08:35 PM
If you are their manager: It is the responsibility of managers, supervisors in a department to set clear expectations for job tasks and responsibilities. If this is a new associate there may be just an issue of clarity of what is to be done and when. There is a natural learning curve to new processes, environment that occurs during the first 90 days for a new associate. This person may just need time to get settled in. If this is one of your colleagues: Remember what is "Simple" to some may not be "Simple" to others. Again, I would make sure the associate is very clear on what is expected and when. Myrtle Spruiel on 11/19/2014 1:04:43 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread