Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Do I tell my boss or not

I know that a coworker is looking for another job. I feel that sufficient notice should be given if that coworker finds a new job but I am not certain that will happen. I am concerned about the lapse in time and extra work that will be added to myself and others until a replacement is found and trained. I feel that a warning to my boss might allow a head start in looking for a potential replacement but not actually do any interviewing until the employee has given notice. I think my boss would appreciate my concerns and the opportunity to start thinking and searching now for a new person. Any thoughts on whether to discuss or not?

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
Straight to the point - stay out of it! If you are aware of your coworker's plans, I'm sure they didn't intend for you to be the one to break the news -- or break a confidence. If there is a period of time when the coworker's position is vacant, that's a great opportunity for you and the others who remain to display teamwork by pulling together. It's also a chance for you to show off your dedication and abilities. Think of it as your chance to shine under pressure. Anonymous on 6/6/2014 10:13:30 AM
This can be a tricky situation. Anytime you deal with a Human Resource issue, such as this one, deal with FACTS only. Over hearing a conversation doesn't work. If you have hard facts, that's fine. Janice Celedonia on 6/6/2014 9:57:19 AM
When and IF your co-worker decides to leave, they will give their notice. How much notice they give is between your co-worker and your boss and is NONE of your business. True, you and others will have to step it up during the transition, but that?s the way it is. You can take that as an opportunity to shine and demonstrate your willingness to go the extra mile when needed. If you DO tell your boss, it could totally blow up in your face and you could end up being perceived as a suck-up/tattler or worse, a petty gossiper that is concerned about doing more than your share of the work! Violet on 6/6/2014 9:36:46 AM
I think you should not cross that line to say anything. I understand your concerns, however that is not your place to say anything. Just my opinion. Irene Hatchett on 6/6/2014 9:31:16 AM
It is not your place to mention this from both a professional and personal standpoint. Dawn Kuhn on 6/6/2014 9:19:19 AM
I agree with others, it is NOT your place to inform your boss. Often people might look for another job but that does not mean they will take a new job for sure. Please do not create drama for another person who might not have any real intentions but may just be looking at possibilities. Even if offered a new job, your co-worker may decide to stay in their current position. KRR on 6/6/2014 9:11:37 AM
I would recommend you be very careful venturing into this type of arena. In this case, it may suit you best to keep your suppositions to yourself though if you can do some quiet prep work for the possible vacating of the co-worker's position, that certainly won't hurt anybody. Even though you may think you've got everything figured out and know what steps the co-worker will be taking, you really won't know until they happen, if they even do. If you jump the gun and inform your boss and the co-worker decides not to leave or take another job, then you end up with a lot of egg on your face and you will lose any trust and respect you might have with your other co-workers. Diplomacy will never steer you wrong. Kelly Dodson on 6/6/2014 9:10:21 AM
The only person who should tell your boss the co-worker is leaving is the co-worker who is considering leaving. I just think you will jeopardize the co-worker's good standing with the company. It is best that the said co-worker break that news. Anonymous on 6/6/2014 9:06:20 AM
You should stay out of it. As administrative professionals we know that situations can change at a moments notice, so we are trained to pick up added responsibilities in order to keep activities rolling. You already have the heads up what might take place, be the professional and be ready to take on any additional duties should they arise. Cynthia Moore on 6/6/2014 9:01:48 AM
I agree with the first 2 replies. But in return, if your co-worker is truly unhappy and is just talking about searching, but doesn't follow through with it, it is unprofessional of her/him to mention it because it may cause dissention among the co-workers. Elizabeth Erskine on 6/6/2014 8:56:30 AM
My advice is to stay out of it. What if the co-worker has a change of heart and decides to stay. If you have given your boss a "heads up" you could actually sabotage that persons career and make yourself look petty in the process. Joan Hudson on 6/6/2014 8:50:59 AM
Although I understand your concerns about the work load for you and for others it is not your information to share, it is your co-worker's. Whether or not she/he gives sufficient notice is their responsibility and it would be appropriate for you to encourage them to do so. They might find that their current position has a lot to offer after looking and decide to stay. Anonymous on 6/6/2014 8:50:39 AM
I would definitely NOT tell your boss. What if your coworker does not find a new job? With the current job market it could take months for her to find something. If she wants a good recommendation, then she will give an official two week notice. Not very professional if you tell your boss something that most likely she told you in confidence. Alice on 6/6/2014 8:49:08 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread