Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Travel Arrangements

I have an employee who will be retiring after 13-years and is responsible for handling all of the travel for the department. Could you please share your information, travel sites, forms any suggestions that you may have regarding travel. Sometimes three to five employees travel at one time. I work for the government. Thank you

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
Google fedtravel or defense travel system. Both require detailed training. Aeap is not the right forum. AEAP on 3/13/2014 7:24:55 AM
I used to handle travel arrangements (air, hotel, car) for a state government agency and there were very specific procedures we had to follow for each transaction, from start to finish. Probably each state or federal agency has their own processes. But with the government, there are some specific parameters you must follow. We used a standard form letter to send to the hotel, plus an inhouse approval form for any out-of-state travel, some approvals were given via email which were included with all the documentation that was submitted monthly with the credit card statement and an Excel log that had to detail each transaction. Your agency will probably need to establish a credit limit depending on the amount of travel. I also used an accordion file with each pocket reserved for one trip, whether one employee or three were attending. Once you knew the drill, it was very procedural, but it did get busy at times when there were multiple transactions happening all at once. Definitely a job for the detail-oriented person. Debra Shumate on 3/12/2014 11:33:25 AM
We usually let the employee find the air fare, the sooner the better; and then submit that to the supervisor for approval/budget check. I will say that an employee of ours recently booked a personal trip through an online site, did have problems when weather forced many flights to be cancelled. She spent the entire day at the Denver Airport trying to get on a flight out of there (next day) and because she had purchased her tickets through a discount on line site; the airlines were not as happy to help her find a replacement. If she had gone through an agent or the airline directly, I think they would have helped her more. Julie Minegar Stasi on 3/12/2014 10:32:05 AM
We use the Concur system to book travel and do all expenses. Very easy system to use. Anonymous on 3/12/2014 10:19:16 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread