Return to ForumsReply to Thread
O Drive

I was given the task of organizing and cleaning up our "O drive" (office shares drive) for the purpose of archiving old files and folders. Do any of you have any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Submitted by: Kaila Hoshor

ReplyPosted By
Hello, I just performed this very task and what I did was move the pertinent inactive or files that are no longer being used to a thumb drive labeled it, and filed in the file cabinet with the office keys. Yes, the file cabinet is locked every night and the Internal Audit staff members have access to retrieve any old audit data if necessary. :) The thumb drive worked for me; however, a CD or other media may be better. Anonymous on 12/17/2013 3:20:29 PM
Treat your e-files as if they were paper files using a filing system. An e-file is not a source document; it is a sample or template for a future document. Copy the contents of the current O: drive into a new archive folder titled "2013 and before". There will be those who "just don't get it" and this archive will serve as their security blanket. Meanwhile, on the same O: drive create a new "2014" folder and put subfolders in it as if it were a filing system. Move current documents (less than 2 years old) from the existing O: drive folders into the new 2014 folders. Delete the old folders as they become empty. Repeat and retire annually IAW your standing operating procedures. Good luck! Anonymous on 12/17/2013 3:09:28 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread