Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Afterhours

Ok I?m in a very small department; we?ve ranged from 3-4 employees over the years. We have a director (salary), 1 other salary position and 2 hourly positions. The other salary position has always been the liaison with other departments, so in that since has more of a supervisor type role. However due to budget cuts this position is now hourly and part time, which takes away that supervisor role. Ok with that all said the question is what do you do about the director and another employee from the same department hanging out after hours? Does matter on age, gender, etc. We have no policy on it, but just everyday normal morals says it?s wrong. Hanging out with your boss afterhours makes you look bad, the boss look bad and maybe even the company. It makes people think you are up to something, that you are getting special privileges, etc. It effects your work day too because you know there is personal talk going on because a friendship has formed. With this being a small department the other hourly employee/s are now feeling ?left out? not only on a personal level but also on a work level because discussions are happening without the rest of the department present. Me personally I want no part of their outside friendship because I think it?s wrong and it?s going to come back to bit them in the butt. However other employees from the business have notice and made mention of it to the uninvolved employee/s. Me personally am not a tattle tail and tend to let people dig their own holes but am getting very annoyed by this new friendship.

Submitted by: Annoymous

ReplyPosted By
You are talking about fraternization in the workplace. I recommend you google fraternization in the workplace and read the various articles that come up. Then you might be informed enough to pay your HR department a visit to see if the company has a policy against it, or needs to create one. You are spot on -- fraternization is a huge morale buster in the workplace. Anonymous on 9/13/2013 2:22:25 PM
I work in a dept. with five managers and I don't see anything wrong with upper management and I hanging out after hours as long as we are both professional when it comes to work. I count myself lucky to be fortunate enough to enjoy working and spending outside time with my supervisors. As far as other employees, personally, I don't worry about what they think as long as I'm doing my job, doing it professionally and doing it well. Even though my supervisor and I spend time outside the office, she still gets the respect that she is due. As long as they keep it professional during work time, I see no problem. Charlita Wright on 9/13/2013 1:04:25 PM
We need a "like" button because these responses are on target! Anonymous on 9/13/2013 1:04:04 PM
Several thoughts come to mind as I read your concern. Apparently, this is getting "under your skin" and causing some resentment, which I can understand. While it may be considered inappropriate by many, you did point out the company has no policy against it. There are some companies that even encourage friendships outside of work. There's no indication what type of "friendship" has been established and maybe that's one of the underlying concerns -- not knowing. Again, some companies permit this as long as the employees are not in the same department. Bottom line is don't let this factor into your performance and value as an employee. Continue to go to work on time, put effort and efficiency into your job, maintain a professional attitude and put a smile on your face. What other employees do should not change the type of employee you are. And remember -- if you don't say it, you don't have to regret it....meaning don't get caught in any whispering about this situation. Anonymous on 9/13/2013 1:02:11 PM
I don't think you should get involved at all. They are two adults and need to look out for themselves. I don't think it would be good for you to get involved. It's hard sometimes...I know, but that's the best thing. KathyAnn Krajcik on 9/13/2013 12:46:01 PM
Don't get involved. Let it run it's course. It's nothing new - co workers do it all the time. As long as they are professional at work and doing their jobs it shouldn't matter what they do on their own time (as long as no one is breaking up families, having extra marital affairs, or planning to overtake the company). Then it would be unethical and/or immoral. There are just as many people who become friends at work and hang out sometimes as there are those who associate with co-workers at work only. It's up to the individuals. Besides that, it doesn't matter what kind of company it is, it doesn't get to tell people who they can be friends with. Linda Smith on 9/13/2013 7:16:09 AM
Stay professional and stay out of it! Gossip is one of my major peet peeves and it's destructive to both those who practice it and those who are the subject of it. Nothing good comes of it. Let things run the course they will run. Even if your company doesn't have a policy against it, someone higher up, at some point will hear something and more than likely, they will say something to the Supervisor in question. I always say I have co-workers with whom I am friendly at work but I don't count them as my personal friends and I don't spend my own time with them outside of perhaps having lunch during the week every now and then. Keep your work life at work and your home life at home!! Kelly Dodson on 9/12/2013 1:33:19 PM
What co-workers do after hours in none of your concern. Step away and do not listen to nor participate in chat about that issue. Anonymous on 9/12/2013 1:21:13 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread