Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Credit Card for an Executive Assistant

I am wondering if any Executive Assistant out there has a credit card for business use. I report to the President/CEO and often have the need to purchase small items/supplies. I have a copy of his card, but not my own. I need to borrow the CFO's card (female) to make these purchases or use my cash and be reimbursed via petty cash which is very bothersome.

Submitted by: Alice

ReplyPosted By
In my previous position at a large corporation, where I assisted the President, I had my own Amex from the company. I made all the purchases, booked travel, paid for some client and company events and other expenses with it. I know work for a much smaller company and assist the President & CEO and don't have my own. I have his number and a copy of his card. Since the company is so small and things are done differently, I don't feel the need to have my own. C-Level EA on 4/16/2014 9:33:08 AM
Hello, For my company, we have a Corporate credit card that I have as well as all the Admins have to make small purchases, lunches, etc as needed for meetings or general use. This works out great because I do not have to use my own credit card or money to pay for company items and process an expense report. Even though with the credit card I do a monthly expense report before closing and I keep track of my spending. This has worked out great since we have this Corporate credit card now. Maybe you can ask if you company can provide you with a Company credit card to use for these type purchases. Thank you and hope this helps. Anonymous on 9/13/2012 8:37:10 AM
I use my boss' company card. Actually I prefer not to have the responsibility of a company card with my own name. It kind of gives you an honest out. If I do have to submit expenses, I am prompt in requesting reimbursement and follow through. It hasn't been an issue where I currently work, but in the past I have been taken advantage of some. I will not permit the company I work for to float on my wallet. Anonymous on 9/13/2012 8:35:38 AM
I do have an AMEX card for my own use provided by my organization. The card is in my name along with that of the organization. I use it regularly for purchases via the Internet, phone or if need be in person. Since I am responsible for a myriad of things required by the CEO or Board of Trustees, it makes life a lot easier. Of course, I am responsible for its use and provide monthly reports, including all receipts. I do the same for the CEOs card as well. As long as you are comfortable with keeping track of all purchases made in your name, having your own card improves efficiency and helps with time constraints. Hope this helps guide your thinking. Anonymous on 9/13/2012 8:34:31 AM
Yes, it IS bothersome and not right that you should have to use your own money/credit card for purchases and then get reimbursed. I had the same situation at my last job and it really irked me. It is ridiculous for them to assume that you can front them a free loan to pay for company purchases (and IMO that is exactly what it is). Fortunately, the company I work for now issues a company credit card to all support staff that might need to purchase supplies, memberships, registrations, etc. There have been times when I am out shopping for myself on my own time and see something that the company uses at a much lower cost. The company credit card makes it easy for me to buy these items up on the spot, saving the company money. Anonymous on 9/13/2012 8:33:14 AM
It is a little less bothersome to use petty cash if one uses some type of graph paper at work, or some type of Excel or Access spreadsheet, even an OpenOffice computer spreadsheet, to record the amount of petty cash at the start of the day and the end of the day. Or, you can try this extra tip. Put the office cash into a prepaid Visa or MasterCard that pre-loads. Mark the card with a Post-It in a vivid color "Office Cash" by attaching the Post-It with a rubber band to the card itself, on the back, above the magnetic strip. Keep every receipt with the prepaid card by using the rubber band. Anonymous on 9/13/2012 7:39:18 AM
I do not have my own credit card because I do not travel or entertain. I do have occasions make travel arrangements for other staff and make local purchases, ie., get well flowers for staff, baby gifts, etc. I manage the use of my boss' credit card which allows us both to use it as needed for company purchases. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 2:53:13 PM
Yes, I have a corporate credit card. I was in the same situation you were in and found it very frustrating. I now book travel, reserve lodging, renew subscriptions, etc. for the company. It has saved me a lot of time and also saved the company money as well. Dee Dee Heffernan on 9/12/2012 2:35:16 PM
Yes. I work for a local government, and most of the admins have what we call purchasing cards. We can use them for on-line purchasing or reservations and for in-store purchases. This is not to replace our purchase order system, but it is useful for unavoidable situations. I also have the card info for my director if I need to use hers instead. We are accountable for providing receipts to our Finance Dept along with what budget account number purchases are charged to. Tamra Moore on 9/12/2012 2:30:52 PM
I have a purchasing card. I use it to buy items for my boss, pay for airline tickets and other travel expenses, and any other items that might come up that would be a hassle to purchase otherwise. I like that I am able to obtain things immediately for him ? and he likes that too! Our old system required that I either request a check from accounting or that I purchase the item myself and get reimbursed from petty cash. Neither one was a great option. I am thrilled to have a card. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 2:28:18 PM
It is available if I care to set one up. I prefer to use my Kroger VISA and get points for reduced gas and cash backs. I either pay myself back through petty cash or a check request. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 2:12:30 PM
In response to your question. I don't think it is necessary to have your own card unless you are making big purchases or traveling for your boss. She feels that you will and must use discretion in spending . I have several numbers not cards, because it is hard to find bosses when they are in meetings/out of office, etc., You will have to use a lot of discretion and privacy. One less thing to look for also. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 2:06:25 PM
Yes, I have my own business credit card. I have been Executive Assistant at a previous position and it was very inconvenient to keep asking my boss for his credit card. Thank goodness at my present job, my boss did not want the hassle so I have my own. Definitely think you should ask for your own. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 2:05:39 PM
Yes. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 2:05:12 PM
I have a company credit card with my name on it and I also have a copy of my boss?s credit card. I purchase items using her credit card online all the time and have the items delivered to me. Just keep the receipts and once a month I attach receipts from items I purchased to her credit card statement. Also, you might want to ask the CFO to get you a company credit card to purchase small items. A lot of companies call the credit card a Purchasing Card and as long as you use it for company business and reconcile the statement once a month you should have no problem. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 2:04:47 PM
In every Administrative, Executive Assistant or Support role I've served in, I've had a corporate credit card. I used it not only for specific purchasing obligations, but for reserving travel/tickets, hotels, dinner reservations, etc. (The Exec presented their own card upon arrival.) In managerial roles, I have also equipped my Administrators with credit cards. To not do so in this day and age seems like withholding a tool they need to do their job. I will add the caveat that the same criteria for everyone else in the company must hold true with regards to background/credit checks and prompt and efficient reconciliation of charges. Glenda Wilder on 9/12/2012 2:01:17 PM
I have a couple of cards that are for local chain stores and I order a lot on line. If I need a physical card for someplace else then I ask the CFO for his and am allowed to use it. I agree it is inconvenient but am glad that they are willing to let me "borrow". Is that somethiing that you could do? Anonymous on 9/12/2012 1:55:40 PM
I have been an executive assistant for about 35 years and I've always had my own credit card. I am currently working for the CEO of our company and there was never a questions as to whether or not I should have one. It is so much more convenient because I also do the expense reports. I use it for office supplies, to hold hotel reservations, meetings, banquets, airline tickets, etc. Sometimes if you try to use a card that doesn't have your name on it they won't accept it. So my answer would be I think it is time you get your own card. Debby Rathjen on 9/12/2012 1:52:24 PM
I do have a credit card for a couple of local chain stores and most of the time I am purchasing on line. The few times I need a physical card I ask the CFO to borrow his. I agree that it is inconvenient but they are very good about letting me "borrow". Is that an option for you? Anonymous on 9/12/2012 1:51:26 PM
Alice, In my 15 years experience, I never had a personal corporate card. I always had my bosses cards; whether it was personal or business. If you are required to make frequent purchases and you work for a company that does not give their AEs a corp. card, I would suggest you asking your boss to authorize you to use his card for small purchases or give you a limit. Help him to understand that when you have to make a purchase it is an inconvenience to you to wait to be reimbursed. You are not in financial position to have to wait. Find out what your company's policy is on this and if he is not able to authorize you, ask him for an alternative. Ask to open a corp. account. Carol-Lynn Lavelle on 9/12/2012 1:51:19 PM
I work in a private school and everyone has a credit card/purchasing card. All receipts, statement and a cover sheet explaining what the purchases were use for are due to me each month. I take copies and record info for my records and send their statements on to accounting. This works so well for us. It also saves on paper work. zion on 9/12/2012 1:44:47 PM
I do have a company credit card and have had it for several years. I work for a city government and each department's Administrative Assistant has their own credit card in additioin to the department director and/ or supervisor. Within my department alone there are two of us that make purchases in addition to the two directors. We don't use them often but have never had an issue as we all know the importance of keeping receipts for all purchases. You are correct that using cash and being reimbursed is quite bothersome. Best Regards, Deborah Garitson on 9/12/2012 1:44:31 PM
Hi Alice, Yes, I have had a corporate credit card in the past and present. In my last two positions as EA, my credit limit was/is $5,000.00. I currently work for the COB/CEO, and am also the Training Coordinator. Hope this helps. Joyce Zimmerman on 9/12/2012 1:38:05 PM
It seems to be pretty much the norm that secretaries at many levels do not have a business credit card, but are expected to use their own money and submit expenses for reimbursement. I have always thought that to be a barrier to ones duties. Approach your President/CEO and see how he/she feels about you having a business credit card. He/she may not have even thought about it. On the other hand, your company may have a policy about who can or cannot have a business account. In our company there are very few people authorized for a business account. Debbie on 9/12/2012 1:36:01 PM
Yes, I do have a company credit card known as the Departent Purchasing C.ard. The process is handled through accounting and used for everything except travel, christmas supplies and farewell parties. Gloria Holmes on 9/12/2012 1:34:52 PM
In my last position, I reported to the Owner/President of the Company. I was on his Amex account so I had a card, but with the Company name. It is much easier than petty cash ? that?s always a hassle! Good luck. Anonymous on 9/12/2012 1:34:16 PM
Same here...I work for the CEO and have a card with a $5,000 limit, expenses are reconciled weekly. Most of our key employees have their own card with varying limits. on 9/12/2012 1:33:41 PM
Yes, I was assigned a company card for various supplies and expenses about 4 years ago. It has a $1500 limit assigned to it. I find it invaluable for meeting/special events, office equipment and travel I am required to do for business purposes. Kim Fritz on 9/12/2012 1:32:09 PM
Yes, I have had a Corporate Card since I started. I book all my travel and expenses on it. At the end of the month, I expense everything and my boss signs off on it. Patricia Dlugos on 9/12/2012 1:32:04 PM
I was hired in as assistant to the President/CEO approx. 2 years ago and at that time was given a company credit card. Many key employees at our company have credit cards--each card has our company name as well as the individual's name. I use the card to order misc. supplies online and when I am out and about. I also use the card when making hotel, metro car and other travel arrangements. Having a company card is a great time saving convenience. Debra on 9/12/2012 1:31:44 PM
1 2

Return to ForumsReply to Thread