Return to ForumsReply to Thread
How do you establish how to manage your new bosses calendar?

I have only managed three calendars for three executives. The first two have been so long ago, that I cannot recall how we got "up and running". The second one, that was about three years ago just spoon fed so to speak. If I was unsure of a meeting request, then I asked her and she told me if she needed to attend. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have a set system for how you learn to get "up and running" with a new boss with respect to his or her calendar. Also, is it acceptable at times after we get used to managing the calendar to still need feedback from them? Any and all feedback is welcome. Thank you!

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
These replies are extremely helpful to me. Thank you so much. I do have a question. What happens when many new topics keep arising. Thus new meeting invitations are coming in, do you periodically check with him/her again? Anonymous on 5/25/2012 10:13:42 AM
I manage multiple calendars. Rule number one - have complete access to their calendars to edit, accept, etc. Rule number two - have a meeting with your managers to find out their priority meetings (i.e. which ones they are responsible for, ones they HAVE to attend, etc.) and find out which ones are movable if there is a conflict. Find out if they want to 'accept' or 'decline' their own meeting invites. I get my four managers invites but I don't act on them - it just keeps me in the loop. This conversation will alleviate having to 'ask' all the time. Rule number three- is if they want a meeting that requires more than one other person they need to see me to schedule it. They should not be doing this administrative task as it is much easier for you to manage looking for time, a room, a date, etc. Hopefully you have a good relationship with your managers direct reports and I encourage you to have them at least give you viewing rights to their calendars as well. Another key is communicate with other admins when meetings need to be made with their manager.....a quick phone call to another admin to see if their person's calendar is flexible always helps. Good Luck Kelly Fritsch on 5/25/2012 9:56:33 AM
i've worked with calendars for several insurance agents in a previous position and it was challenging at times but everyone worked well together. my suggestion would be as much as calendars change at the spur of the moment - keep constant contact with your executives - maybe making a suggestion to each of them that in order to keep everyone on the same page - try checking at the beginning of each day to go over their calendars. Up and running isn't hard - once you've mastered this and your bosses understand what you need to function with their calendars - you'll find it's fun - even though it gets hectic at times!! still use a paper calendar for one of my bosses whereas, depending on what calendar program they use - there are cliches which need to be worked out............... take care - sylvia. sylvia frey on 5/25/2012 9:36:06 AM
I manage the calendar for a CEO. I do not reply to his meeting invitations - he does that himself. I do arrange all his travel and meetings, though. I always ask him his preferences when scheduling his flights and hotels first so we are always on the same page. You need to sit down and discuss this with your boss. Good Luck! Alice on 5/25/2012 9:33:30 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread