Return to ForumsReply to Thread
This is totally off the wall -- but I have to ask this question

Are the 'professionals' in your office as incapable of learning how to use the phone system or computers and other equipment as the ones I've experienced lately? These people ask for all the bells and whistles and latest and greatest additions for everything from the phone system to the postage meter and then can't seem to learn how to use them - e or their retention is zilch because they have been shown repeatedly how to do things - and still they can't seem to get it! And how I pity the guys in IT - they have to deal with this DUMBNESS on an hourly basis! It totally amazes me - yes, admins are supposed to be the 'eyes and ears, the helping hands' for their bosses -- but are you supposed to be their BRAIN as well!? Sorry -- I just had to vent a bit -- but there are days when I feel like I've discovered the Land of Dumb and Dumber!

Submitted by: Office Person

ReplyPosted By
The most important thing we as secretarial support persons can remember is that our major role is to meet the needs of our boss(s) and make him/her look good. Although it can be very frustrating when our boss faces challenges with technology, we must remember that secretarial/organizational tasks are generally not their forte. That is what we are for. I know that my boss has very important tasks and issue to attend to in order to help keep the company viable and in compliance with state and federal regulations. That is far more important than whether or not he/she can use the new conference phone, copy machine, electronic tablet, or smart phone. Proficiency will come with repeated use of those tools. Some days you will have to dig deep for patience, I know, but there is always a learning curve for anything new. Just be sure that each day you have your boss ready for the day with a copy of his/her calendar and any support material necessary for each appointment scheduled. If other secretarial support persons on your team are having issues with technology, that is another matter and scheduling some educational sessions will be beneficial for all. Anonymous on 1/31/2012 3:53:45 PM
This was a great post...thank you for reminding me I am NOT alone...HA. I also live in that same Land of Dumb and Dumber. My boss refuses to even take a simple note as a reminder until he can remember even the simplest new task. And when he does "try" to do things on his own, I or other office staff end up fixing the mess he has made. You hang in there as not all admins are the same and hopefully some day ours will leave for greener pastures! Melinda O'Bryan on 1/31/2012 1:22:54 PM
THANK YOU ALL! If nothing else, you all brought me back from the brink of insanity worrying about these people and their inability to retain information! Seriously - this forum is a great asset - being able to put these odd 'troubles' out there and get some feedback from all of you. Yes - it was partly meant as humor - so I'm glad I made your day with that -- but it is also great to read your very helpful comments - and know that these things are a universal problem - not just mine. THANKS AGAIN! Office Person on 1/31/2012 8:31:46 AM
I get when the boss doesn?t remember how to fax or put in stationary or what have you and yes I look at it too as job security. And thankfully my boss is thankful for what I do and tells me that and tells me good job. However we got a new addition to our office recently their title is HR Generalist ? they are doing benefits and hiring mostly. They have been an Admin, an HR Manager so on and so forth. They are in their mid 30s and I believe knows very little about the various uses and helpful tools like printing labels for multiple uses, printing envelopes instead of handing writing, etc. They were doing a ?merge? (and granted I?ve only know how to do merges for 3 yrs) now but I had to show them something for it. They didn?t have a merge they had a 50 pg .doc ? I didn?t say a thing. I figure what they doesn?t know I?ll have the upper hand on. And that?s already been proved in our department. It?s been a topic of discussion at work and at home that you need to stay up with the times and technology or you will get left behind. Annoymous on 1/30/2012 3:25:51 PM
Yes, we DO have to be their brain at times. They are focusing on other things and do not utilize all the phone features or the postage meter on a regular basis like we do, so yes, they ARE going to forget. They are too busy working on their own stuff and are not going to bother to learn things that the admin can do for them. I used to work at a place that was the "Land of Dumb and Dumber" and it did drive me crazy, but I tried my best to cut them some slack because they are NOT organized multi-taskers like us and are out of their comfort zone when it comes to these things. Look at it this way - its job security for us. They NEED us! LOL Violet on 1/30/2012 2:42:03 PM
Want to hear something worse than that? I work with another administrative assistant that doesn't even know what the word collate means. I mean how can you do this job and not know what this means and she isn't right out of college either!!! Anonymous on 1/30/2012 2:25:56 PM
This is HYSTERICAL!!!! I've totally been here...hang in there. Betsy Matazel on 1/30/2012 1:47:17 PM
I know exactly where you are coming from because I work in the IT Dept. Your demise is not only other departments but IT people can be in the unsavvy department also. I have learned to write things out rather than explain verbally, then the person has something to refer to. Many of our techs send electronic instructions, as well. MLC on 1/30/2012 1:35:31 PM
Yes, I feel your pain but I look upon it as job security (somewhat). Charlita Wright on 1/30/2012 1:34:55 PM
I completely understand where you're coming from, AND the need to vent. We all certainly have our "buttons" and mine always seem to be half-pressed! Many years ago when I was very new to all of this, I went to work for a woman who was also new to her position. She said to me on our first day together, "I don't really know how to utilize a secretary (this was 1984), but I can tell you that anything you do that makes me look good will always be appreciated, and I won't forget about it at review time!" And she never did. She was wonderful like that. Not everyone is, and some are just so-so at recognition, while others do nothing but note the little nitpicky stuff, but I look at it this way: if I approach my job as doing anything which makes them look good, then I can't go wrong, and even the "baddies" will appreciate it on some level...eventually. Just like the unfair acts I see on my way to and fro each day, at least I can look in the mirror and know that I did my best, I did it thoroughly, conscientiously and honestly. No one can ask for more than that. At least you know YOU are courteous to the IT team for retaining what they've taught you, and I bet they appreciate that a lot. KarenL on 1/30/2012 1:33:11 PM
Well, you've given me my chuckle for the day! Thanks - I needed it! (And, I so understand where you're coming from.) Anonymous on 1/30/2012 1:20:23 PM
You are in an enviable position as the "expert." In the high-tech companies I've worked for, you are always striving to keep up with employees who enjoy pushing the limits of technology! Anonymous on 1/28/2012 3:37:26 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread