Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Returning to Job Market and Looking for Help

I'm re-entering the job market in the Northern Virginia area and need some help. With my youngest in college, and the economy in a mess, it seems like a good time to find a job in the Admin/Exe. Assistant field. Is anyone out there involved beginning a search for their company, thinking about adding a new position, knows a retiring position? It seems as if you must go through a temp agency (nothing wrong with that but the competition is rough) or know someone. I'm reaching out to my fellow members since at AEP I do know someone! Thanks so much, Jan Cook

Submitted by: Jan Cook

ReplyPosted By
Thank you all! I went to the Harris site and applied for two jobs in Dulles, and I am going to check into the jobs site for the federal jobs as well. What a great group of people out there! I do have "friends"! If I can help anyone out there with anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll keep you posted on my job search. Jan Jan Cook on 11/18/2011 9:36:04 AM
You might check Harris Corporation. They have several offices in the NoVA area. Chantilly, Dulles, Alexandria, Herndon. Don't know what openings there might be, but it's worth posting your resume with them. http://www.harris.com/harris/careers/default.asp Dulles is looking for a recruiting assistant. Good luck! Annabel Carney on 11/17/2011 4:33:31 PM
If I had a penny for every time somebody in Virginia went blind when looking over the Potomac River... Your job search should be 10-15 miles left or right of US 95 between Fort Meade, Maryland and Fort Belvoir, VA (or maybe Quantico USMC Base). Include Washington, DC and Montgomery and Prince George's Counties, Maryland in your job search. I also recommend Patuxent Naval Air Station in southern Maryland. If you are looking for government work, use the usajobs site and focus on the 03** series, GS-7 or 9 positions; anything less will quickly becoming boring or you'll quickly feel underappreciated ; ) A 30 mile commute is common in the DC metropolitan area (which includes NOVA), and 60 miles or more for mid and high earners. Ignore those who mention the traffic problems; it's bad everywhere around DC, period. Also, you're moving into an area where who you know is more important than what you know. Keep good notes and try to be friendly with everyone! Good luck! Anonymous on 11/17/2011 3:22:15 PM
Hi Jan. I don't think we have any open positions right now, but the Company I work for, Concurrent Technologies Corporation (CTC) has an office in that area. We are always looking for good Admins. Check out our website. That's where you would put your resume. www.CTC.com Andrea Ryba on 11/17/2011 2:51:57 PM
There are many position open in Health Care. In the Northern Virginia area. Inova Health System is one good source. MLC on 11/17/2011 1:41:36 PM
Unfortunately, I do not believe I can be much help with suggestions for job locations in Northern Virginia. I would like to point out it helps if you have experience with both Dell and Mac computers, detail oriented, organizational skills and be specific. Document on your resume the areas that you excel in such as power point, file maker pro, etc. Perhaps you can Google administrative coordinator position in Northern Veriginia and see what you get. Play around with the wording and you will find various options. Hope my two cents helps. Lisa Stanton on 11/17/2011 1:34:39 PM
Hello Jan, I'm in the Alexandria area and work in Pentagon city. I've been seeing alot of jobs that are in the admin/exec asst field. A good recommendation is looking at USAjobs.com (if your interested in becoming a federal employee). You can find alot of positions in the area that you might be interested in applying for. The response isn't as immediate at you may like but alot of opportunities. Also, I would sign on to several contracting companies in the area. They may have more flexiblity in starting sooner and you may be able to negiotiate salary. Good Luck in your search. Ciari Green on 11/17/2011 1:29:59 PM
Hello, My suggestion would be for you to head/look towards the Phamaceutical Industry. That is an area that is growing in leaps and bounds! If I were to do it all over again that's where I would begin. Carol McNamara on 11/17/2011 1:27:37 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread