Return to ForumsReply to Thread
New title for Receptionist

We are looking to upgrade the job title of our receptionist. She is full-time and has taken on administrative assistant duties to assist the AA's in the company. Do any of you have suggestions on how to rename her position? Thank you.

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
We updated our receptionist to Administrative Assistant-Reception because her duties increased to assisting our admins with daily duties. Anonymous on 4/3/2017 11:03:08 AM
At the organization where I work we have a position between Department Secretary and Executive Secretary entitled Operations Assistant. Depending on her duties, this might work. An Operations Assistant has all of the duties of a Department Secretary and some more advanced duties. If this receptionist will not have that much responsibility a Customer Service Representative title may work. If you don?t currently have a Department Secretary position, this may actually be what you are looking for. The Department Secretary position would encompass most duties including typing, filing, answering and fielding phone calls, ordering supplies, photocopying, etc. Anonymous on 6/29/2011 10:10:49 AM
Depending upon what she is actually doing, the title "Staff Assistant" would be appropriate. Also our front desk personnel are called "Customer Service Assistant". Anonymous on 6/28/2011 9:58:00 AM
Depending upon what she is actually doing, the title "Staff Assistant" would be appropriate. Also our front desk personnel are called "Customer Service Assistant". Anonymous on 6/28/2011 9:57:48 AM
Administrative Support Clerk was the new title given to our part-time Receptionist/Secretary (old title). Tammy Short on 6/28/2011 6:00:19 AM
Administrative Support Clerk was the new title given to our part-time Receptionist/Secretary (old title). Tammy Short on 6/28/2011 6:00:13 AM
Administrative Support Clerk was the new title given to our part-time Receptionist/Secretary (old title). Tammy Short on 6/28/2011 5:59:51 AM
Administrative Assistant I Helen Boston-Summers on 6/28/2011 5:37:16 AM
We refer to ours as "Director of First Impressions", it gets people talking in the lobby and everyone agrees how correct it is. Lori Osmond on 6/28/2011 5:09:31 AM
My company has three individuals that perform a variety of tasks, including such things as reception, mail distribution, procure and maintain supply of consumables for network printers, fax machines and copiers. These employees are ?office assistants? and their level of seniority and/or expertise is determined by a Roman numeral I, II or III following their title. (This allows room for upward mobility.) Anonymous on 6/27/2011 4:58:19 PM
My company has three individuals that perform a variety of tasks, including such things as reception, mail distribution, procure and maintain supply of consumables for network printers, fax machines and copiers. These employees are ?office assistants? and their level of seniority and/or expertise is determined by a Roman numeral I, II or III following their title. (This allows room for upward mobility.) Anonymous on 6/27/2011 4:58:06 PM
I would suggest administrative associate or administrative support assistant. Irene Matthews on 6/27/2011 2:54:35 PM
I think Receptionist is an outdated title. No one just sits there and answers the phone and greets people anymore. They do so much more now. Admin Assistant, Assistant Admin, Administrative Clerk, there are plenty of new titles. Tina Doran on 6/27/2011 2:52:33 PM
We have three levels of Office Assistants (I, II and III), each with a salary range. The benefit of this is that you know exactly where you're going to start someone and you have opportunities to increase their title and the pay based on additional responsibilities. Job descriptions are the same, except at the end it draws out the different levels: the first has the receptionist qualities, the second does some independent worki without direction, and the third helps supervise (or leads) one or two other people. The Lead (OA III) is the one who would direct people if the supervisor isn't available. If we evaluate someone and want to bump them up, we have to justify it with the job description and examples. After working through the OA positions, they can move on to Management Assistant (I, II and III), with associated pay ranges. Debra Thompson on 6/27/2011 2:44:42 PM
Administrative Support sgarland on 6/27/2011 2:40:54 PM
Another way to rename these types of positions which overlap is to identify duties and responsibilities for Administrative Assistant I and Administrative Assistant II. This also allows room for growth and promotion. Stephanie Danesie on 6/27/2011 2:36:07 PM
This is a timely question - the same type of question came up in my office recently. Some of the things mentioned were: Office Administrator or Front Desk Coordinator. It's difficult because people don't particularly like the word 'coordinator' but they can't use 'manager' because that means (at least in this company) that you are in a management (and therefore paid more) Office Person on 6/27/2011 2:35:12 PM
Ours is called an Office Assistant. Anonymous on 6/27/2011 2:33:01 PM
The position at our organization is titled Receptionist and Office Coordinator. We found this to appropriately reflect the primary task of fielding calls and receiving guests along with the expanded administrative role that includes processing incoming mail and working on small projects. LaFaundra Neville on 6/27/2011 2:24:03 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread