Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Safety Policies

Greetings, I work for a fairly large technology division (160 employees) in a large University. My boss, the University CIO, asked me to head up a safety program and essentially act as the division's Safety Officer. I plan to attend various meetings and forums offered by other University Departments on topics as asbestos, and other building hazards. I wonder if folks can tell if they have such a program and what kinds of informaton do you disseminate and what kind of activities / training modules you engage in. Many thanks. Joyce

Submitted by: Joyce McSweeney

ReplyPosted By
Thank you for all the suggestions relating to safety policies and actions. Joyce McSweeney on 6/24/2011 10:52:10 AM
Our company uses Healthstream Courses online for annual training on OSHA Standards, etc. Helen Boston-Summers on 6/21/2011 6:47:25 AM
search safety associations...lots of them and they all have training... http://www.bing.com/search?q=safety+assocation&src=IE-SearchBox&Form=IE8SRC Anonymous on 6/20/2011 12:34:05 PM
Visit the National Safety Council website at www.nsc.org. Anonymous on 6/20/2011 12:33:07 PM
Thank you TinkS. This is very helpful. Joyce McSweeney on 6/20/2011 11:17:01 AM
Hello, I work for a police department and I am involved in many different areas to inlcude safety concerns. I would recommend contacting and/or researching the "Homeland Security" website. There are many areas of safety issues from large scale disasters to home/office safety. Would could probably get connected to other specific organizations that would help with getting you informed as your Division Safety Officer. Also, we, as a police department offer safety classes which are called C.E.R.T. which stands for Community Emergency Response Team. This is geared more toward community; however, it might be helpful in coordinating and informing employees of how to deal and handle emergency situations. Hope this helps! Connie Connie Melching on 6/20/2011 11:15:15 AM
Morning, in my past position we had what were called OST Officers (Office Safety Team). We had weekly meetings and reviewed any items that occurred in the office. We were given emergency packs, which had basic first aid items, flashlights, vests that identified us as OST and also Handy Talkies to keep in touch and be able to reach someone when needed. We were trained in First Aid, CPR, Heart difibulators, etc. We were also part of the company emergency team, for major events, earthquakes, fire, etc. Our meetings included training, reports, general overview of the facility and any safety issues that were reported (we had a site for employees to report any safety concerns they may have. There were also disaster drills that we conducted to keep the employees versed in emergency procedures. We spread out the OST people all over the company to ensure there was at least one person available for each floor or area. They were very proactive in ensuring the safety of the employees. Hope this helps. Good Luck! TinkS on 6/20/2011 10:18:26 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread