Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Dress Code - Business Casual

I've been hearing lately that some business offices are trying to abandon 'business casual' and going back to a more formal dress code. Is anyone else experiencing this in their office? Personally, I think it is a refreshing change - after seeing some of the outfits that people have worn to work this summer - revealing necklines, tight T-shirts, sundresses that are short and clingy, grungy flip flops, baggy shorts - I'm glad that we are getting cooler weather so people can cover up! I don't know how you can call yourself professional when you look like you are going for a day at the beach!

Submitted by: Office Person

ReplyPosted By
We have "Business Casual" which is clean slacks, jeans, polo shirts, no T-shirts, shirts, blouse, anyway, we have only a few visitors so its not really to bad but, there were times when someone else worked here and she came in jeans with holes in the knees, flipflops, swimsuit under a blouse and then, since her area was a little cool, she had to put on wool socks and a flannel shirt. If she would have dressed a little different she wouldn't have had a 'closet' at work. Now our office is only three people, the boss, an engineer and me. Kind of nice but I still try to be professional in my appearance. I am the first one visitors see! Anonymous on 10/12/2010 12:47:00 PM
We have an informal dress code at my work, but there are still guidelines and it is generally followed. Like one of the other posts, I ask myself if it looks like something I would wear to a bar, out to walk the dog or to clean house, don't wear it. Another rule of thumb; regardless of whether you have visitors at your office or not, your dress represents your company. Lucky Admin on 10/5/2010 3:34:40 PM
We have "Business Casual" which is clean slacks, jeans, polo shirts, no T-shirts, shirts, blouse, anyway, we have only a few visitors so its not really to bad but, there were times when someone else worked here and she came in jeans with holes in the knees, flipflops, swimsuit under a blouse and then, since her area was a little cool, she had to put on wool socks and a flannel shirt. If she would have dressed a little different she wouldn't have had a 'closet' at work. Now our office is only three people, the boss, an engineer and me. Kind of nice but I still try to be professional in my appearance. I am the first one visitors see! Anonymous on 10/1/2010 8:16:55 AM
I used to work for an organization where it was business casual or professional dressed- whichever you preferred. My position was eliminated in February and I have since found a part time job in a start up company. Now I wear jeans and sweaters with flats every day and I LOVE it! I am still a professional. I am still valued for my skills - I am just more comfortable doing it. I do have to say that my golden rule has always been: if you look like you are going out to walk the dog or going out to the bar with your friends, DON'T wear it to work. Very simple rule to follow. DeDe on 10/1/2010 8:02:21 AM
At our office Friday is suppose to be business casual, however, everyone dresses as if they were going to a baseball game, the men wearing their caps inside the office, the women wear practically nothing. During the week it is suppose to be more formal, but of course the women dress as if they belong on the street corner in their skirts shorter than a mini, 6 inch heels and low cut tank tops. I am suprised the HR Manager doesn't send them home. But when I come in on Fridays wearing dark washed denim jeans and a nice blouse I'm not following the dress code, because the jeans are "BLUE" I don't understand! I say bring on the Formal dress code and enforce it. RG on 9/30/2010 12:19:27 PM
In answer to the business casual for Fridays, we are still doing that; however, we have a Personal Appearance/Dress Code policy which specifically outlines what is not acceptable. If you are interested in receiving a copy, email me at bauer@mydelraybeach.com. Anonymous on 9/30/2010 11:57:47 AM
I'm an "older" admin (soon to be 56) and my office is casual every day which means we are allowed to wear blue jeans .. believe me, there is absolutely NO WAY I would ever want to go back to the suits and stockings and heels. I am much more productive and happy because I'm comfortable! I wear nice jeans with a shirt and jacket and a comfy heel and I am taken just as seriously as I was when wearing a suit. The folks who abuse this privilege by wearing inappropriate clothing are addressed individually and we've only had a few minor infractions in the last 2 years. I am a total professional and everyone I work with presents themselves professionally as well .. we just wear denim while doing it!! Anonymous on 9/30/2010 10:04:27 AM
I work at an office where we still have casual Fridays and it is VERY casual. Regular days is business attire, but it is still very casual. I dressed my version of business for the first 6 months and always felt over dressed. For the last 7 years I have sort of slid into their attire. I am now part time and working for another business as well, that one is more formal. I have gone back to my formal ways and I have to say I like it and feel much more professional when I am dressed the part. Anonymous on 9/30/2010 9:29:18 AM
We still have casual Fridays Our work week is supposedly business casual but I'm amazed at some of the clothes worn. I'd love for things to be a little more dressy but our president even enjoys wearing jeans. So much for wishing... styler8599 on 9/30/2010 9:24:55 AM
Hi there, in my office it is always suits and ties and nylons for the women with business dress being the norm; however, during the hot summer months the ties and nylons go by the wayside, but the dress code is still enforced. I agree that with the styles and youngsters of today, the dress codes have become lax and unprofessional. Not that I like wearing nylons everyday, but at least I look and feel like a professional and am taken seriously when I have something to say. You know what they say " first impression is the lasting one". TinkS on 9/30/2010 9:24:00 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread