Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Should I choose not to become "Linked In" with someone I don't trust?

Just received an e-mail requesting that I become linked in with someone here in the office. Her 'comment' was: since you are someone I ttrust...." and I wanted to immediately reply - :but I dont trust YOU!" For reasons too numerous to go into, I don't want to become 'attached' to anything or anyone who is 'linked' to her - she is not trustworthy,ethical, etc. and I fear being linked to her in any way! What would you do in this case? She is probably going to be 'linked' to me with others in the office - but that' as close as I want to get!

Submitted by: Office Person

ReplyPosted By
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES! They have been most informative for many reasons. First off, I find it interesting that some offices do not allow ANY form of 'social networking' - but with Linked In, this is more professional - and not 'social' - and because I am required in my job to do research - I need to be in this particular system. I did find the option to 'delete' or 'ignore' this person's e-mail request within the system - and I doubt greatly if she will even notice that I'm not responding. I must say this is a wonderful 'tool' that AEAP has given us - and I appreciate all your comments, not just for my inquiry, but for all the others as well. I've really learned a lot from all of you! Office Person on 9/27/2010 10:44:25 AM
Simple real world advise is to NEVER social network with people at work. Keep personal personal and professional, professional. If you leave a job and want to network with select coworkers, go for it. Always better safe than sorry. Keep a distinct line. Anonymous on 9/24/2010 2:50:25 PM
Just decline her invitation and don't feel bad about it. She should know that just because you invite someone to be "linked" to you, there is NO requirement for them to accept. Anonymous on 9/24/2010 9:36:25 AM
"No" is a complete sentence. Kelly Hero on 9/24/2010 9:24:31 AM
If you don't trust this person, you should definitely not link up with her. I would just tell her that you don't participate in social networks for privacy issues. I think that's general enough not to hurt anyone's feelings. Always go with your gut feelings, they are usually right. Norma Fettner on 9/24/2010 8:38:33 AM
I get these requests all the time. If you are not interested, just delete the email altogether. Also, does your company have a policy regarding emails and outside contacts? My feeling is there is enough emailing for business purposes that getting stuck with "LinkedIn" will add more unnecessary emails. Anonymous on 9/24/2010 8:19:21 AM
Good morning. You are the owner of your "LinkedIn" account. Therefore, you have the ability to decline the offer of linking with anyone you'd like. The most tasteful way to do that is to simply decline when the request hits your mailbox. If, which I doubt, she asks why you declined, simply tell her that you make a habit to not link coworkers in because you want to network outside of your current realm of expertise to broaden your potential future job prospects. Phyllis Greg on 9/24/2010 8:19:06 AM
You are smart to scrutinize your connections - either through "Linked In" or any social networking environment. I struggle with the amount of access I give anyone or group to my life. That said, I understand your quandary. Rebuffing an invitation is challenging, and while it may be easily communicated in your mind to the other person - putting the situation in words, etc. in real life interaction can seem like holding a gun to your head or another's. I feel like I am playing a little more of the Ms. Manners role, as it feels as though you know you don't wish to be connected to this individual, and just need a means of communicating that politely so as to minimize strife in the workplace. There are always options. Are you frequent on posting or updating your "Linked In" account? I am a frequent flyer on the Answers feature, so this doesn't work for me as well. But if there isn't a great deal of activity on your account, you may get away with feigning ignorance - "Oh, I didn't see the invitation email." or "I never go to that sight, I signed up so long ago, and really don't even know what it says there anymore." However, if she will see she is being circumvented, there is an option to ignore the sender and block them going forward. This may be a good option, as you can simply relay that you no longer participate. I commend your ajudication of whether or not this person is reflective of the connections you want to make in life. So many of us simply say "Yes" anytime someone virtually invites us, and we overlook the potential harm that a connection that may well go awry can present to our lives. If she is not in the administrative classification, and a manager or something of the sort, you can always rely on the fallback that you feel it might seem an awkward connection to other administrative professionals within your community, and you welcome her sending you an email if there is any information you can provide that would help her. I think that "since you are someone I trust" is a canned invitation line, so wouldn't read too much into it. I have gotten it from those I do and don't trust as well before through Linked In. Good luck - it doesn't seem a comfortable situation to find yourself. I trust you will make the best decision for yourself and don't ever ignore that gut feeling. It is often the most accurate - if not least specific. Jaisend on 9/24/2010 8:17:09 AM
Can't you just hit "delete"? Our office as an IS policy not to be on Twitter or LINKED web sites with the company computer. Or just say No thanks. Julie Minegar Stasi on 9/24/2010 8:11:58 AM
What do you mean by "linked" to her? Linked on a network or in some sort of social online tool? Anonymous on 9/24/2010 8:08:28 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread