Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Does anyone have to get their boss(es) lunch daily?

I was just wondering what other admins daily tasks are. When I worked in the fashion industry the personal tasks were endless...picking up lunch everyday, filling up coffee cups, packing houses to move, checking p.o. boxes, picking up drycleaning, feeding cats, etc.

Submitted by: Gizzy

ReplyPosted By
Thanks everyone for your great input. I was recruited away from another job for this position and this position was an "Executive Assistant" position with a typical "Executive Assistant" job description. I did have all the typical assistant duties in addition to all of these personal duties. I do not work at this place anymore, but I wanted to throw it out to the forum because I always wondered if my annoyance was because I am not as "flexible" as others or because I knew I was being taken advantage of. Gizzy on 8/5/2010 3:16:00 PM
I do not perform any personal tasks on a routine basis. Only on occasion I have picked up my boss at the car repair shop so that he can leave his car for repairs and then take him back at the end of the day. He made it clear when I began working for him that he did not believe in taking advantage of his secretary. If I am getting something to drink I will offer to get him one, but he never requests it. I perform business tasks related to our industry; healthcare. Some of the tasks and requirements in my job description are: basic secretarial duties such as typing, filing, coordinating the electronic calendars, maintaining paper and electronic mail, and answering and processing phone calls. I also purchase bus passes and maintain the bus pass program at the health system, chair and serve on the Activities Committee for the health system which is responsible for parade floats, recognition luncheons, turkey certificates for each co-worker during December, co-ordinate holiday banquet for co-workers, and select, order, and distribute the Hospital Week recognition gifts. I also arrange travel for my boss, coordinate recruitment travel at the executive level and maintain the severance program and records. And...other duties as assigned. Anonymous on 8/5/2010 8:03:08 AM
These items are not in my daily tasks. That sounds more like a ?personal? assistant to me. If you are to be an admin assistant, I wouldn?t think these would be standard duties, however, my boss has asked me to do some personal tasks for him and I have offered to do some in order to give him more time to do what he was doing. He was very appreciative so I didn?t mind, however, that is not the daily norm. If it bothers you, maybe you should get out of working in the fashion industry. Anonymous on 8/5/2010 8:01:17 AM
When recruiting for the position the job title should have been Personal Assistant, not Administrative Assistant. I'm curious though, weren't the duties involved discussed prior to you being hired? That being said, the job is what it is and it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to keep it. Anonymous on 8/5/2010 7:59:27 AM
The daily tasks of an administrative professionals are more rewarding that what you are doing now. Typical tasks consist of: managing calendar(s) of your executive(s); travel arrangement; answering/screening/redirecting phone calls; setting up/coordinating onsite/offsite meetings/telecons; setting up lunch/dinner meetings; preparing expense/travel expenses; word processing, photocopying, faxing, creating presentation charts; meeting minutes taking. Anonymous on 8/5/2010 7:48:18 AM
I was also shocked by some of the things that you are being required to do for your boss. I have been in administrative support for over twenty years. I have never been asked by a boss to get them coffee, pack a house up, or feed their animals. Now that I am an Admin. Manager I would never dream of asking the people who work on my team to do those tasks. It is one thing if someone is already going somewhere to ask them to pick you up lunch or vise versa. There are times when we pick up lunch for the boss but only when we are already going out. Whoever takes the last cup of coffee, fixes a new pot. Personally, my boss is more focused on my assistance in OFFICE duties. You can help someone out but office duties are what are in the job description. I would really look at that to see if you are not being taken advantage of by a less than professional boss. Anna Worman on 8/4/2010 2:22:43 PM
Gizzy, Yes, although not daily, I do a few times a week. As an assistant, I feel the definition serves well. We are here to assist them in any way. My boss in my interview asked me what I would not do; I thought for a moment and answered with the following: I will not lie for you, break the companies rules/policies and I will not do anything that goes against my personal morals and sensibilities. Otherwise, as she always says please and thank you; I am happy to do whatever she asks. Hope that helps. TinkS on 8/4/2010 2:04:41 PM
I agree that the tasks you list are more of the nature of a personal assistant, not an administrative assistant. Although I wouldn't mind picking up lunch if asked, I do think it should be occasional. My duties run the gamut of OFFICE tasks - contracts, minutes, board of director support, insurance, community liaison, background checks, project coordination, co-signing checks and website maintenance. In the course of that I have often offered to get other people in the room something to drink. Debra Thompson on 8/4/2010 1:56:14 PM
Grizzy, The tasks you listed were shocking to me. Unless you are a "personal assistant" and all these fall in your job description, I would be insulted. Coffee and an occasional lunch pickup is one thing, but packing houses to move, checking PO boxes, picking up drycleaning, feeding cats is not what I would call duties of an assistant, or a job that I would personally enjoy. I feel I do enough of that stuff at home (although not being paid), I wouldn't want to do it where I work. We have 12 Executive Assistants and 30 Administrative Assistance and I don't believe any are asked to pack up houses, etc.... If you need a copy of a job description, please let me know at bauer@mydelraybeach.com. Anonymous on 8/4/2010 1:52:54 PM
The rule in my company is if I get the boss lunch, he pays for my lunch. (He made that rule). I have never had a problem with getting him lunch. It is my job to make his job easier. Everyone works better when we are fed. Cathy Nelson on 8/4/2010 1:46:39 PM
As a professional assistant, I try to limit the very personal tasks. Periodically, I will fax some personal documents or even type some personal letter. However, I have never picked up personal items, such as dry cleaning, etc. I get coffee for office guest, but not for my boss. However, last year I went to a session wherein the panel of admin experts noted that they are more than willing to get coffee for their boss. They all worked for hospital presidents. Their thinking on the matter was, if they could save their boss even 5 minutes so that he could spend time on more important matters, they were more than willing to do it. My outlook softened after that discussion. In the end, I say do what you are comfortable with handling. I think lots of the duties you mention fall under the title of PERSONAL ASSISTANT. Carolyn Clemons on 8/4/2010 1:35:57 PM
I have occasionally picked up lunch for my boss, although usually when I was out getting mine. I'm not offended if she asks me to grab her something, and I even offer sometimes. The way I look at it, I'm here 8 hours a day and getting paid for those 8 hours. If my boss chooses to pay me to run out and pick up her lunch, that's okay with me. It's her dollar. And it's even nice to get a break once in a while and get out of the office. Anonymous on 8/4/2010 1:31:48 PM
If my boss(es) ask me to get their lunch, I am happy to go get their lunch. It doesn't happen every day but occasionally. I keep their calendars up to date, I read and reply to emails, I schedule meetings & phone calls, I answer their phones, I type letters, I take minutes in meetings, I book travel for them, etc., etc. Pretty much whatever they need me to do, I do it. Sometimes that even includes personal errands or tasks. SLB on 8/4/2010 1:25:18 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread