Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Business Dress

Hi there, I have an employee who dresses inappropriately for a business situation. She wears extremely revealing, low tops. I want to speak to her about this but wanted a second opinion on the best approach to take. Speak directly or get HR advice first? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

Submitted by: Linda Kreutz

ReplyPosted By
We have had quite a few discussions at lunch about the lack of respect for the current dress code at our facility. It has always been my opinion that if you look like you are either going to walk the dog or head to bar with your friends, you should put something else on. We send home personnel that do not meet the dress code. It is the manager's responsibility to see that it is adhered to. If they have problems, then HR steps in to help. If the manager is unaware of a violation (or is unwilling to rock the boat), any staff member can go to HR and have them deal with it with the manager's help. DeDe on 7/20/2009 1:02:10 PM
Our company policy is very general, but their are some guidelines such as: "Managers must personally adhere to and communicate the dress guidelines to their business". By the way - Being a very large and international company,the only guideline provided on the main HR manual is "appearance should reflect the highest standard of professionalism" , "Clothing choices shouldn't be provacative or disrespectful to your colleagues or our clients" and "You manager or Human Resources can give you guidance on the type of attire that's appropriate for your business or location." If you don't have specific guidelines for your business location, this might be the time for HR to issue some. Cynthia Perez-Brown on 7/16/2009 10:35:19 AM
I'm sorry to say, I think it is the younger generation. I see alot of tight clothes including business suits, low cut tops, etc. They were never shown what business attire is and the stores are selling and the manufacturer are making what is selling. TV shows are showing professionals in low cut tight fitting suits, people think this is normal and OK. Lori Osmond on 7/16/2009 9:17:55 AM
Dress code is such a touchy subject. I know in our firm we have a dress code policy (which has not been updated for several years), but still people seem to stray from that. I am not in charge of anyone at our firm, so I do not have to handle the this type of situation. What I can tell you is this, the way that our firm handles it I think is somewhat incorrect. If it appears that one person is not dressing appropriately, then a mass email goes out to everyone reminding them of our dress code policies. To me this then makes me think "Is it me they are talking about?" I am sure others feel the same way. I am proud to say that this wouldn't be the case for me, I am probably one of the few ladies in our office that actually dresses in a professional manner. But, my personal opinion, if it was me I would want them to tell me directly. Does your company have a dress code policy? If not, then I am not sure that the problem can be addressed. Everyone looks at business dress in a different way. I think if you have to ask yourself in the morning is this appropriate for the office, it most likely isn't. Unfortunately, some just don't get it. This could come back to bite you too, some might say you are jealous because maybe she is getting attention from the low cut tops. It is a slippery slope. Kristie Mueller on 5/22/2009 8:38:22 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread