Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Pink Slips

I have been asked to write pink slips for a layoff that is coming up at the end of this week. As much as I really hate this task, I could use some help on the wording and if anyone has a template they could forward to me, I would be much appreciative. My email is john_eta@bellsouth.net please help me if you can, as I am not finding much in the way on-line to help me out with this. Thank you, John Malek

Submitted by: John Malek

ReplyPosted By
Sue Powers, regarding Bellsouth/AT&T employees and confidentiality. However, I do not work for Bellsouth/AT&T. I work for a small independent and privately held company. And, no one in my office is a member of AEAP except for myself, and I am using my private email as well and not a company email address. But, thank you for your concern. I also appreciate all the help you have all sent me. I wish to thank you all, and now I can go home today, knowing I am done with that task and hopefully, sleep tonight for the first time this week. John John Malek on 4/16/2009 12:46:45 PM
Since this is an HR issue, you should get the pink slip wording from your HR Department. No company should allow an Admin to develop wording for pink slips, especially since it could cause Legal ramifications down the line. You should go back to the person who asked you to develop the wording (I hope that person is from HR) and get the wording from him or her or you should go to HR for the wording and template. No 2 companies are alike and what may have worked for another company may not work for yours. Good luck. Anonymous on 4/16/2009 10:05:21 AM
Here is a sample letter that you could start with and then tweak to meet your needs. Dear Ms/Mr. Whoever (unless you know them personally in which case you could use their first name). I regret to inform you that your position has been eliminated (due to the economic climate, reorganization or what ever the reason) as of July 1st. This is not a reflection of your work performance and you are welcome to reapply for other positions that become available. At this time, however, there are no others to offer you. (Add a paragraph regarding severance payments options if they are being offered.) Please read carefully the information in the attached packet. It outlines the services and benefits we will continue to provide as your start your search for new employment. (If this is being offered.) Also, I want to share some services that you may be interested in as you seek other employment. First, don’t forget that you will need to periodically review the job vacancies by accessing the Job Board (or however you post your company's vacancies). If you need assistance in preparing a resume, please contact Human Resources at (phone number). They will be happy to assist you. (use this if your company offers this service). If you need someone to talk with concerning emotional or other issues regarding your separation please feel free to call the Employee Assistance Counselors at (if you provide this service for your employees). Hope some of this will be helpful for you. It is always important to be kind so as to help preserve the employee's dignity. Anonymous on 4/16/2009 9:57:24 AM
Hi John, I contacted my best friend, who is a VP of HR. Most likely doesn't help you, but for what it's worth: "There really is no such thing as a pink slip. When doing layoffs, most companies determine what will be offered to those leaving (severance and/or outplacement, unused vacation, etc) and the letter would state the termination date and the benefits (if any) provided. So there isn't a template per se." Kimberly Kissel on 4/16/2009 7:39:42 AM
With all due respect to Sue, "bellsouth.net" is just John's e-mail address, possibly his personal address, and isn't necessarily indicative of where he works. Megan on 4/16/2009 5:14:11 AM
John, in all due respect, I'm not sure that such a confidential task should have been sent to your AEAP colleagues. We all now know that there will be layoffs at Bell South - perhaps there is another AEAP member who also works for Bell South or has family that works there. This seems like a question you should ask your internal manager or HR personnel. Sorry, that is just my opinion. Sue Powers on 4/15/2009 4:25:32 PM
Wow, John---tough break. I don't know if termination/lay off forms come in templates. When I have been fired (lol) it was face to face. HR did everything on the back-end to process me out of the company. I received my last paycheck in the mail and never looked back. If you are in HR, I suggest you leverage the HR Generalist or your company's legal counsel for assistance with this task. If you are a partner or member in a small company that doesn't offer 401ks, health insurance, etc, perhaps a simple 'thank you for your service with ABC Company. As of x date you services will no longer be needed...' will suffice. However, err on the side of caution: consult your company's legal department and escalate this task to a higher-up in your HR department. You should not allow yourself to be thrown to the wolves like this---you need help for this serious task. If you execute this incorrectly, you may be on the hook when it comes to litigation from disgruntled ex-employees. This may be helpful too: take your company's employment application form and reverse the wording to unemploy people. For example: Office Max sells simple job application templates and they have caveats for the termination of employees. Use your company's application verbiage to help with drafting your pink slips. Good luck. ps---check out this website: http://www.businesstown.com/people/firing.asp STEADMOND SMITH on 4/15/2009 1:34:12 PM
Found the following at: http://www.samplelayoffletter.com/ Using A Sample Layoff Letter A sample layoff letter will ensure you cover important areas and stay within the layoff law. Here is key information you should include in a sample layoff letter: * Company name and address of the layoff site * Name of company contact person as well as phone number * Whether the layoff is temporary or permanent * Date of first separation * Dates for layoff dates * Job titles which you will lay off * Information about severance packages * Explanation for the reasons of the layoff Sample Layoff Letter Requirements for WARN Under certain circumstances employers must provide notice about a possible layoff within a certain time frame. Under the Federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, commonly known as WARN, you must provide advance notice of mass layoffs and plant closings to employees within 60 days of the layoff. You must provide the WARN announcement to affected workers or their representatives, such as a labor union. In addition, you must provide a notice to a suitable unit of local government and the State dislocated worker unit. Here are exceptions. For WARN to affect a business, there must be 100 or more employees. This does not include employees who have worked at the location for fewer than 6 months in the last 12 months. Employees who work an average of fewer than 20 hours a week are also not covered. When your business must comply with WARN, employers should provide notice if a site will be shutdown and that shutdown will result in an employment loss of 50 or more employees during a 30-day period. WARN considers a mass layoff to be an employment loss during any 30-day period of 500 or more covered employees. The law requires specific content if a layoff triggers a WARN notice. So, it can be helpful to use a sample layoff letter. This letter can guide you through the procedure of making the proper notices about the closure or mass layoff. Besides the requirements listed above for a layoff letter, you should also include: * Whether union bumping rights exist * Name of unions representing affected employees * Name and address of the chief elected officer for each union Alexa McGrath on 4/15/2009 1:20:51 PM
Go to: http://shr.ucsc.edu/forms/topics/layoff-separation.htm There are templates of letters you can work off of. It's sad that you have to go through this and be the bad guy. :-( Jennifer from VA on 4/15/2009 12:50:08 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread