Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Seminars/Training

I'm interested in taking a seminar presented by SkillPath. Is anyone familiar with this company? The seminar is $149. I want to make sure my employer is getting his money's worth! If you know of other training companies you trust, please let me know. Thank you!

Submitted by: Deborah Billiter

ReplyPosted By
One of the most awesome, informational, educational classes I took was Intermediate Excel through www.ed2go.com/aeap. It was $99, online and I will be taking many more. I have taken Skillpath, Ed Pryor and after a while they get old. ed2go is the best. Carol Anonymous on 6/22/2009 5:55:01 AM
I have been to several SkillPath seminars and they are very good and helpful. I think that for the money, you're getting a good deal. Jessica Brown on 3/11/2009 7:57:25 AM
I have gone to several SkillPath seminars. I have enjoyed every one and learned quite a lot from them all. There was only one time that I remember not being totally satisfied and I received a full refund, no questions asked. Hope you enjoy the seminar. Linda Powell on 3/9/2009 1:48:26 PM
I have used Skillpath in the past and they are reputable. They offer some pretty good courses. Masterg on 3/9/2009 10:42:43 AM
Our employees have used Skillpath Seminars on several occasions and a couple of weeks ago we actually had one of their instructors come to our facility for a training session. It went very well. Their prices are less expensive than others. We also use American Management Association for training, however they are somewhat expensive. DSK on 3/9/2009 10:41:33 AM
Skillpath is good; so is National Seminars Group, Padgett-Thompson, and Fred Pryor Seminars. Their trainings are well worth the price and diversified. Good luck! Jenny Penningston on 3/9/2009 10:40:43 AM
I took a 2-day Access seminar with SkillPath in 2007. I felt that it was not worth the $399 that was charged. There were 3 students to each computer and I found it hard to grasp what was being taught because I could not follow along by performing the exercises; we had to take turns using the computer. To suggest other companies, it would help to know what type of seminar you intend to take. Given my experience, I would not recommend SkillPath. Eloise Reese on 3/6/2009 4:10:55 PM
We use SkillPath and Fred Pryor all the time. They deliver what they advertise. They specialize in giving you a great overview of the material for the seminar subject. If you are not familiar with the topic, it's a great use of $150. If you are looking for specialized or advanced training, visit the AMA website or USDA Graduate School. Keep in mind they will be pricier. A big moneymaker for Skillpath and Fred Pryor are their books which they push pretty hard. I recommend you review their websites beforehand so you know what you are walking into. Anonymous on 3/6/2009 2:25:23 PM
I have used SkillPath many, many times. I think for the most part they are very informative and well worth the money. There have been a couple that weren't worth it in my opinion but others found them to be very beneficial. Anonymous on 3/6/2009 2:24:45 PM
I have taken some seminars by this company. Some have been very informative and others so-so. I guess it depends on the instructor and what seminar you are attending. Anonymous on 3/6/2009 2:23:47 PM
Several people in our organization have courses through SkillPath. I've actually taken the one you've mentioned, and found it useful. If you're a seasoned EA, there will always be things covered that are already familiar to you. But if you can walk away with one or two new tidbits of helpful hints, etc., then it is worth your time. I would recommend attending. Anonymous on 3/6/2009 2:19:40 PM
Several of my colleagues and I went to an AMA seminar entitled Management Skills for Administrative Professionals and found the same problem. It was geared toward those early in their careers. AMA seminars are known for their high quality and this one was very good, but did not serve our needs. We have also tried some audio conferences to save costs and I have been disappointed with those as well. Admin in Philly on 3/6/2009 2:17:59 PM
There are a number of companies that provide training such as SkillPath, Fred Pryor, etc. I think you will get good information, and it is certainly more cost effective than seminars that are much more expensive. Nancy Wilson on 3/6/2009 2:16:07 PM
SkillPath is a reputable organization. AEAP on 3/6/2009 2:10:39 PM
I’ve attended a couple of these Skillpath seminars in the past, but I found them to be pretty basic. If you are just starting out as an administrative assistant, you can probably find some real value in attending. I picked up a few small tips, but I found that I already knew most of the content that was presented. The other advantage was that it gave me the opportunity to meet and network with people from other companies in the area. In closing, I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish. Hope this helps! Good luck! AEAP on 3/6/2009 2:09:38 PM
I have taken courses through both SkillPath and Fred Pryor, with the majority of them being insightful and informative. You should be able to ask customer service prior to registering what the target audience is for the class (new assistants, seasoned assistants, assistants being given new responsibilities or learning new tasks). I have had a few where the information was more mundane than my preference (based on my experience level); but without fail, I have always walked away with a Microsoft softcut or an idea or even a slight bit of information that I did not have before that would help me be more productive. Alysia on 3/6/2009 2:04:42 PM
I went to one seminar for Executive Assistants with another co-worker and we will not go to their seminars again. Their topics were very interesting, but when we actually sat in on each segment of the seminar it was geared more towards someone starting out, not a seasoned assistant. We felt it was a huge waste of time/money. We now look at AMA seminars for training. If you give it a try, I would be interested in hearing your feedback on what you thought. Barbara Palmer on 3/6/2009 2:02:18 PM
Hi Deborah, I have attended a few seminars from Skill Path. They have great presenters for their programs. I do use the CEU's toward my recertification points for IAAP. Like anything else you have to listen and participate to get anything out of it. Ellen Scatena CPS on 3/6/2009 1:32:25 PM
Hi. I've taken a couple and they're pretty good. I always think that attending seminars is a good thing. Do a search in google...there are many companies that hold them too. Kathy J. on 3/6/2009 1:03:13 PM
Skillpath is okay. I've taken a few of their seminars. One was very good and the other I didn't learn much from. Check into what the seminar is about. You can call them and ask about the person who will be doing the seminar, and they can give you info. A lot has to do with the seminar presenter. Angela Howell on 3/6/2009 12:57:38 PM
I have been to some SkillPath seminars that were OK, but the last one that I attended was so bad that I asked for my money back. I haven't attended any of their seminars since. Melinda O'Bryan on 3/6/2009 12:55:18 PM
Skillpath is fine; however, I've found that this company along with most of the others that offer seminars, are more interested in getting you to buy the seminar materials than in teaching you anything of substance. Most of the material presented is taken directly from the books that are displayed and on sale. I was very disappointed the last time I attended this type of seminar. They didn't used to be like this, but apparently have found where their profit really lies. styler8599 on 3/6/2009 12:54:17 PM
Although the low cost can be tempting, they certainly aren't the best as far as the overall gaining of knowledge. I have found the level of information they actually provide has been somewhat on the beginner’s level. Jenelle Kirton on 3/6/2009 12:51:50 PM
I have not taken one from this particular company however I am scheduled to take one. I have heard different reviews however I feel it depends on the instructor. I usually take the classes given by Fred Pryor Seminars. I have never had a bad experience with them. Good Luck Antoinette Rincon on 3/6/2009 12:48:36 PM
Which class are you taking? In Chiago, I took an Outlook class which did me no good whatsoever. I read a Dummies for Outlook and had questions for the teacher that he could not answer. Carol Green on 3/6/2009 12:47:03 PM
My personal experience with this group has not been good. I found that I learned very little, but was certainly encouraged to purchase the books they were selling during the training. Phyl Brown on 3/6/2009 12:45:33 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread