Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Position needed as Admin or Exec Assistant Please

Hello everyone. I was recently laid off and am driving myself insane on the job boards with deciphering if the jobs I just applied to are real or just gathering spam information. For the last 2 months, whenever I apply for a position off of Careerbuilder or Craigslist I get a phenomenal number of spam soliciting for continuing education and never a reply from the company applied to. If you know of any work in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley location, feel free to comment or send me an email. Thanks so very much.

Submitted by: Kelly Watkins

ReplyPosted By
Hi Kelly, Sorry to hear about yoru job. I work at an independent school and so far I am still working full-time. Hopefully enrollment does not drop drastically next year. So, I decided to try doing a home based business part-time. I signed up to be an independent rep for Wildtree - an exciting direct-sales company whose all natural gourmet culinary blends, infused Grapeseed oils, dressings and sauces are sold through home Tasting parties. Their products are all natrual, free of hydrogenated fats, preservatives, artificial flavors, additives and MSGs. I can average about and extra $200 a month. You can earn more - that all depends on how much you wold like to do each month. If you would like to learn more check out my website at www.dp.mywildtree.com. Debbie Potter on 2/12/2009 7:31:26 AM
While I was unemployed May-July 2008, I received several job postings / notices to which I applied on line only to be disappointed in a "do you need higher education info" marketing scheme. There are people out there who will go to great lengths to make us think we are applying for jobs when actually those people want to market their product to us... they have no consideraiton for what unemployed people are experiencing... man's inhumanity to man. Job fairs, networking, getting resumes out there as best you can... never give up, keeping working at it... hope all turns out well for you. Wrenae on 2/11/2009 4:46:30 PM
P.S. Kelly if you want to contact me look me up on facebook or linked in and send me a friend request. I'll be happy to send you information as I hear of it. Vicki Hahn Victoria Hahn on 2/11/2009 3:47:25 PM
Like another poster I would also suggest attending and/or joining International Association of Administrative Professionals. Not just for the education aspect, which is great, but the networking as well. Often one of us will know of a position that might be opening up and we share among ourselves and our fellow chapter members as we are interested in helping employers find the quality employee that is willing to make an investment in themselves. We will also be having a session at one of our Chapter meetings with Office Team coming in to talk about creating a competency based resume that will help your resume move to the top of the pile. With today's recession you need to do whatever you can to recession proof yourself. Finally, another site I've visited when I was seeking a job was www.ihiresecretarial.com. You do have to pay a small membership fee, but they seemed to have good leads and limited postings from agencies or others attempting to harvest information. Good luck and remember to keep positive. Victoria Hahn on 2/11/2009 3:46:21 PM
Lot of administrative federal government jobs in Los Angeles County! They're recession proof, too! http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/series_search.asp Unless stated below, stick to the default entries-- Under series number enter 03** Under location, select "CA-Los Angeles County". Hold ctrl key to select multiple locations. Under view, select "brief" Search for Jobs Good luck! Anonymous on 2/11/2009 1:59:51 PM
Hi, Kelly...At one time Careerbuilders used to be the site to go to for good job leads, but it seems that over the years more and more spammers are being allowed to list bogus jobs, same with Craiglist. I would definitely consider the idea of setting yourself up as a virtual assistant. It's what I've done as well as others I know in the industry whose backgrounds are administrative related. You can use your years of experience to create a career, financial freedom, set your own hours, work from home, and be your own boss. You can start out as local and as you expand in your clientbase, you can go global. It can be a lucrative business for you and is certainly something to think about. Rene Rivers on 2/5/2009 6:15:31 PM
Hi Kelley, my boss brought home some info the other day from a lunch seminar he went to since he recently got laid off. One of the things they suggested was not to stay on the computer too long looking for work. That was bound to drive people crazy. Have your tried attending some IAAP meetings. International Association of Professional Administrative Professionals. They have really good topics. Nice women and it's an excellent way to network and find out about jobs. Also, going to reputable temp agencies is another way. Register at many temp agencies, not just one or two. Then go for the one that you work best with. I can say the most of the jobs I've had started out as a temp job and turned into a regular full time job. Hope that helps. Good luck. Keep your head high! Anonymous on 2/5/2009 3:06:13 PM
Hello Kelly, You might want to look into setting up your own business as a virtual assistant. You can work from your home and broaden your target work area to global instead of local. I don't know if this is something you work be interested in, but it is an option you might want to consider. Best of luck to you! Teresa Teresa Turner on 2/5/2009 12:12:37 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread