Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Chicago area

I am going to Chicago in December and would like advice on the best places to see and restaurants. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Submitted by: Teresa Wall

ReplyPosted By
Hello Teresa http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/supporting_narrative/events___special_events/events/mose/calendar_of_events.html Shareen Rizvi on 12/9/2009 11:49:51 AM
Our company offers airport transportation and the rates are pretty reasonable and you can make reservation online. The rate structure is just $10.00 above the cab but keeping Chicago weather in mind, you may consider our company as we keep of flight schedule so if the flight is delayed or early your ride is there for pickup. http://www.a1limo4windycity.com.. you can also ready reviews on Google, Yahoo and Merchant Circle etc Shareen Rizvi on 12/2/2009 9:25:42 PM
To See: Michigan Avenue (The Magnificent Mile…) The trees are all lit up and look gorgeous, the stores have their holiday decorations! Really magical! Macy’s (formerly Marshall Field’s) holiday window displays on State Street Millennium Park – Ice Skating/Xmas Tree!!! Art Institute – it’s heated inside J Go get a drink at the Signature Lounge at night on the 94th floor of the Hancock Building on Michigan – great views at night! Wrigley Field – Off the Addison Red Line Stop, Cubbies are on hiatus but the sign is still beautiful and something to see! There are a lot of bars/restaurants right around there. For sports fans da Bears, da Bulls and da Blackhawks are all in season right now. Blues Clubs – if you want to see REAL Chicago blues head up to Lincoln Park – Kingston Mines and B.L.U.E.S. on Halstead are both great Kind of cold for any kind of tours this time of year… To Eat: CHICGAO STYLE HOTDOG: Can be eaten at the following places – Gold Coast Dogs (lots of locations) Wiener’s Circle (on Clark) and my personal favorite Portillo’s (100 W Ontario) Steaks: Chicago Chop House, Ditka’s, Harry Carray’s, Lawry’s are all “very Chicago” but Morton’s and Kinzie Chophouses are good too! CHICAGO STYLE PIZZA: Giordano’s, D’Agostino’s, you have to get Chicago Style Deep Dish… takes 45 minutes to bake and eats like a casserole but SO worth it! http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en.html Hope this helps! Anonymous on 11/24/2008 11:35:37 AM
Teresa - Another good website to help you plan your trip and get discounts to some of the attractions is the Chicago Explorer Pass. Here's the link. Enjoy your trip! Jenean http://www.explorerpass.com/chicago/index.html?GCID=S18000x074-212-CHIMGTdis&KEYWORD=chicago%20discounts&MATCHTYPE=search Jenean Starwalt on 11/22/2008 9:50:54 AM
There is a website that you definitely want to look into. It is loaded with local kind of insider knowledge. Definitely, definitely worth looking into. Thrillist.com. They have a section for Chicago (as well as a handful of other local big cities). Good luck! Enjoy..... (and say "Hi" to my ex-husbad and his new wife :) Red Hanger on 11/21/2008 7:46:52 PM
Teresa, You'll want to be sure to go to Daley Plaza for the holiday fair, Christmas tree and Picasso; Millenium Park has the ice rink open now, Navy Pier, Water Tower Place, Macy's holiday windows, Rush Street, Lincoln Park Zoo, the Art Institute, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Shedd Aquarium, the Sears Tower, and the John Hancock, which has a great restaurant on the 95th. For pizza, Gino's or Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co., and for great prime rib, Lawrey's. Have a great time! Alexandra Nusko on 11/21/2008 1:07:54 PM
Teresa, You will love Chicago! Depending on what you are looking to do and what type of restaurants you would like to try, there are literally thousands or places to be visited within the Chicago area. Do you have any particular interests or food preferences? Knowing these would help narrow down the places that we can suggest. I promise you that between all of the Chicago based AEAP members we can help you have a fabulous time here! Dena on 11/21/2008 12:56:43 PM
1. Millenium Park Ice Rink and the Park Grill @ Millenium Park (312) 521-7275. 2. The Macy's Christmas tree (Macy's located on the corner of State Street and Randolph/Washington). 3. The Christmas tree in Daley Plaza (Dearborn Street and Washington). 4. Atwood Cafe on the corner of Washington & State Streets (312) 368-1900 (comfort food like steaks, chicken, duck, rabbit). www.atwoodcafe.com It is attached to a hotel named Hotel Burnham. 5. Field Museum (dinasaurs and other great things) www.fieldmuseum.org 6. The Museum of Science & Industry www.msi.org 7. The Adler Planetarium or the Shedd Aquarium. 8. Take in a symphony www.cso.org, or the opera www.lyricopera.org. I could send you a restaurant guide if you wish. Just email me at carol.green@galaxiefinancial.com. You can also call your hotel and ask them to send you the latest Chicago guide book. Also you can go to www.cityofchicago.org for other ideas. Have a wonderful time in our great city. Carol Green on 11/21/2008 12:55:35 PM
Hey Teresa! Definitely go to Shedd's Aquarium. I think also mentioned was the river tour for the archetechture. I have not been to Hancock Tower but that is on my list for when I go in February. Chicago offers a trolley tour that can get you pretty much anywhere around town. I suggest going to see the Blue Man Group if they are there. One place to go eat is Gino's Pizza. They have 2 locations. Have fun! - - Jeanette Jeanette Bright on 11/21/2008 12:44:39 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread