Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Temp-to-hire Positions

Has anyone ever been in a temp-to-hire position? I’ve run across a job posting that pays a decent annual salary, but it is through a temp agency starting at $13 - $14 per hour. The probationary period is 3 months, after which the company may or may not hire the temp permanently. I currently have a full-time job which I would not give up for the $13 - $14 rate. However, the annual permanent salary is significantly higher than my current salary and the position seems to be a perfect match for my skill set. If anyone has experienced this can you please let me know how it turned out, or if there are things in particular that I should watch out for (i.e. red flags)?

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
This reminds me of the fable of a wolf with a steak in his mouth who saw another wolf in the water w/the same kind of steak in his mouth. When he opened his mouth to get the other wolf's steak he had none since it was his own reflection in the water. That being said, in this economy the variable unknowns are so great that I don't think your gut is telling you to take this opportunity. Not only is temp to hire giving the company an opportunity to look at you, it's giving you an opportunity to look at the company. What if it's not the place for you and you recognize it too late? Trust your judgment if you have a good thing where you already are. AlVerta Harty on 2/27/2013 10:37:56 AM
My experiences have been similar to Lorraine Williams as detailed in her posting above. The economy is still very slow. I just applied to an internet job posting, was contacted by a recruiter the next day, and he said they had 200 applicants in 6 hours. Another issue I experienced is when you take time off your full-time job to interview (several times), for the temporary job, your employer suddenly realizes you are "looking." Also, temporary jobs seem to have employers that are less likely to invest quality mentoring and training, and more likely to simply replace you with another more "promising" candidate....the grass is always greener... If I were in your position, I would stay in your present job, make sure all your skills are excellent and what an employer requires, and apply to full time positions that become available. Anonymous on 8/2/2012 12:45:14 PM
Nine years ago, I was hired into my current position as a temp-to-hire. In today's economy, I would seriously re-consider making that same move. A company may hire you for three months and then claim that you are not the right fit for a full-time position. They can directly impact their company's bottom line by continuing to hire temps without paying for any benefits or incurring liability for a full-time wage. Think long and hard before making a decision. Diane Glas, CAP-OM on 7/5/2012 4:13:14 PM
I would weigh both options very carefully. In my experience, some of the temporary positions are held for years-but other times, (especially in this economy) if there are cutbacks then those temporary positions are the first to go. If your current position pays less, but you have longevity with this position and company, then I would stay. Anonymous on 7/5/2012 10:00:02 AM
For the employer, this is a great way to find someone. We have used temp agencies to fill a position that we needed and then because we are unable to buy-out a contract or pay a fee to a temp agency, our company does allow us to work the person for 480 hours; then we can hire them straight out. [which essentually pays the company for finding you]. By the time you have worked 480 hours for us, we know if you are a good fit for the position and can tell if things would work out. Of course by then we still would have to run all our physicals and background checks, so it takes time. For you, the only thing I would say is to check with your current employer rules, they may have a rule about you working two full time jobs and if that is allowed. Although in this economy, I'm sure there are many more people who have more than one job. Good Luck. Julie Minegar Stasi on 7/5/2012 6:59:53 AM
This may sound like a great deal be beware of the benefits pitfall. They may be offering a good salary but you may not get benefits and in the economy health insurance could be a real sticking point. I would suggest you check this job out very thoroughly before leaving your current job. I could be the best move you have ever made but I would be very careful. Anonymous on 7/5/2012 6:41:10 AM
You want to give up a solid permanent job for a contracted temporary job just for the money? I recommend you think about it and reconsider all of the tradeoffs. Money is a poor substitute for security. Anonymous on 7/4/2012 1:26:36 PM
While most of my jobs have been temp-to-hire positions, when I was out of work 5 years ago, I found that about 80% of the ads I responded to for temp-to-hire positions had "just been filled" once I finished the application and testing process at the service, but they had much lower paying, short-term jobs available. That happened about 10 or 15 times, not once or twice (I was out of work for many several months). I was very clear and specific that my goal was for full-time employment and my salary requirements were bare minimum for to keep the roof over my head. Yet recruiter after recruiter suddenly did not have that specific job available but had far less desirable positions - or no positions at all! And this is after speaking with them on the phone about the phantom position. The last nail in the coffin is that I have been recruited for temp-to-hire positions and have found out once on the job that the position is only temporary was never intended to convert to a full time position. This has also happened more than once. Sometimes, the budget goes away, but one company told me that the staffing service lied to me. So I do not trust any temp-to-hire ads. I have read on too many forums to name that others have had the same problems. So my suspicion is they run these ads looking for the best talent, not just entry level job hunters, in a bait and switch type of scam. Why? They want to present the best of the best to the companies, their clients, who pay their bills. The service that got me my current position was honest with me when I contacted them; they did not have anything at that time and when they did, they called me. Over the past 8 years, this is second position they have gotten me, the first did not convert to a full time position. I would like to say once you have established yourself with a staffing agency as an excellent employee you can call on that service again, should you need it, but that is not the case. The turnover of recruiters is high and these services work for the companies they recruit for, NOT the job seekers. My advice is to avoid using staffing services unless you are absolutely desperate. (I also worked as manager for a staffing service 15 years ago.) Lorraine Williams on 7/3/2012 9:09:28 PM
The temp-to-hire is a risky chance for the temp because you are not guaranteed to be hired after the 3 month probationary period. However, it is an opportunity for both you and the employer to determine whether or not you are a "good fit" for the position. I began my current job 17 years ago as a temp, and was blessed to be hired after the probationary period - unlike 3 other temps before me who were not offered the job. Sometime the reason employers go through that process is because of past turnovers in that position -- so be sure to gather as much information about the job from the temp agency or at the interview before considering to accept the temp-to-hire position should it be offered to you. Best wishes! Robin Aylor on 7/3/2012 7:31:05 PM
Most of my jobs have been through temp-to-hire positions, including the one I have now that I have been at for 8 years. I recommend it since you get to see what the job actually entails and then decide whether you really want it. A lot of jobs sound good in the description but don't turn out to be exactly right for you. Elaine Sklom on 7/3/2012 6:00:26 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread