Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Bosses Day

I work for the owner of the company...I am not inclined to give a gift for bosses day to him. However, I usually acknowledge the day with a funny card. Some coworkers want to collect money and give a box of chocolates and a gift card to a restaurant. What are your thoughts?

Submitted by: Theresa Miles

ReplyPosted By
You should never feel obligated to join in on any gift-giving occasion at the office. If asked simply decline with "I already have an established tradition for Bosses Day, but thanks for asking." Anonymous on 10/18/2010 12:33:54 PM
I completely understand your dilemma; however, we as "assistants" typically find ourselves in difficult if not uncomfortable positions such as this (wedding gifts, baby showers, anniversaries, etc). When take a stance and don't play along, we get labeled as difficult or non-supportive. I think you should whatever makes you feel good at the end of the day. No of us should feel pressured into something that we otherwise would not participate in.. Lenese Eberhart on 10/18/2010 11:41:11 AM
I completely understand your dilemma; however, we as "assistants" typically find ourselves in difficult if not uncomfortable positions such as this (wedding gifts, baby showers, anniversaries, etc). When take a stance and don't play along, we get labeled as difficult or non-supportive. I think you should whatever makes you feel good at the end of the day. No of us should feel pressured into something that we otherwise would not participate in.. Lenese Eberhart on 10/18/2010 11:41:05 AM
I am very fortunate in that I have a great boss. He and the other admin staff give a nice gift on admin. day - out of their own pockets and the boss contributes more. So on boss's day I usually make a big dish of homemade jambalya for lunch. The others chip in to help cover the cost and we have a great meal. Tammy Short on 10/14/2010 9:15:22 PM
You should continue to do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I understand the idea of showing appreciation for an administrative professional every year, we perform a lot of tasks that go above and beyond our job descriptions. I don't understand this Boss' Day. I believe most of us work for a number of bosses, not one. I couldn't possibly afford, on my salary, to buy a gift for each one of my bosses! I agree with one of the other posts that this is a greeting card company invention. Also, usually a boss will expense their gift for us and they have the bigger salaries! I don't understand that at all. Enid on 10/14/2010 5:16:59 PM
I don't see any reason why you should change what you have done in the past if that is what is comfortable for you. If the others would like to collect money and give a box of chocolates etc... than let them do so and you continue with what you have done. Lisa Gilbert on 10/14/2010 11:24:19 AM
Thanks for all the input. He usually sends an edible arrangement to everyone on Admin Prof. day, but honestly, he doesn't pay for it the company does. So, I guess I will stick with what I have been doing and not worry what the others are doing. Thanks again. Theresa Miles on 10/14/2010 11:09:00 AM
I say do what ever you feel is right. I personally give my boss a card and usually some candy. But he is on a diet this year so the admin team and I chipped in and got him a small edible arrangment. Kind of costly - especially since we also have a baby shower in the office later this month! For Admin day he used to go all out for us, but that stopped about three years ago when we were purchased by another company. We dont hold that against him at all because he is still a great boss. Since we dont expense our gifts to him on bosses day and it comes from our own pockets we do what we can. If nothing else make him cookies or brownies. You do not have to participate in what others are doing so dont feel pressured. Melissa Helms on 10/14/2010 11:04:45 AM
I have always given my boss of nine years a gift on Boss' Day. My boss has always acknowledged me on Admin Professionals Day with a gift. However, that being said...it has "worn thin" over the last couple of years by feeling more like an obligation on my part. It's getting harder to come up with different gift ideas and with the economy as it is now, it's somewhat of a burden. For that reason, I wish I had never started giving a gift. I think it's important that you acknowledge the day in some form -- either with a card, a nice email, or making it a point to say something to him/her. Anonymous on 10/14/2010 11:03:42 AM
I work for a school as a Executive Adm. Assist., where our bosses don't own the school or receive a bonus. We have a fund that all the faculty and staff put money into every year for for funerals, hospital stays, bosses day, etc. We ususally get gift cards to a restaurant. The other lady in the office and I get a gift card also for our boss and Assist. Head of Schools, since we work directly with them. We usually spend about $30. The Faculty gift card is usually $50. I don't know if this will help you since the education field is a little different. zion on 10/14/2010 11:03:08 AM
I would say do whatever you want to do. A card is sufficient. No need to go overboard. Our department comes up with something different each year. So it's not to say we have to get a gift or whatever. We keep it simple. This year our department did a breakfast. Each individual made something for the breakfast and the bosses received a funny card. Not a big deal. Anonymous on 10/14/2010 10:56:14 AM
I believe its up to the individual as to whether or not to participate. I have more than one boss and do not see eye to eye with all of them so it would be difficult to participate in this "holiday" Julie McKenzie on 10/14/2010 10:41:19 AM
If what you have been doing in the past works, your boss is happy with it and so are you, then there is no need to change it. Michelle Hardiman on 10/14/2010 10:40:55 AM
My boss doesn't generally like gifts, but I always give him a card with a short note of appreciation for the work he does at our hospital and for my position here. I think it really depends on your relationship. Janet Datu on 10/14/2010 10:36:24 AM
I personally have a very difficult time with these 'made up holidays' by the flower/candy/greeting card companies. While I greatly admire and appreciate my boss - and bosses, I don't need a 'special day' to show them what I think of them. May I ask what YOU and your co-workers get during Admin week in April? If you are treated lavishly - then by all means go for the same treatment for your boss - otherwise, a card is really sufficient. Don't mean to sound like I have a bad case of sour grapes - but things like this can get very out of hand - and create some problems among staff. I've seen bosses/admins who try to outdo the others with their gifts to each other - even spending considerable sums of money - and clearly spending less on other staff members - so gift giving can be a real problem all the way around! Office Person on 10/14/2010 10:35:53 AM
I collected money to buy the boss a Gift Certificate this year. Solely, because he always honors me on Secretary Day. I do not do this every year; I just felt like doing it this year. Also, since our department has junior bosses, I ordered a cake with Happy Boss's Day to honor them as well,; especially since some of them contributed to the senior boss gift. If you are not inclined to give a gift, then wait until you do. Gloria Holmes on 10/14/2010 10:34:06 AM
Hi, I have no problem giving my boss a gift, but we get along very well and have a good relationship. A group gift is fine as long as you are comfortable doing so. I believe a card is just fine. Just going along for the ride is not my style, but whatever causes the least problems may be the best. I would do both. Good luck. TinkS on 10/14/2010 10:33:56 AM
I don't get involved in "hallmark days." I wouldn't go in on the collection if it's not your general inclination. You have to set a pattern early on so everyone will know not to keep asking you each year. Carolyn Clemons on 10/14/2010 10:32:08 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread